ESPN's Josina Anderson reported last Tuesday night Kelvin Beachum will replace Mike Adams at left tackle for the Steelers in their Week 6 game against the New York Jets.
Sources: Steelers T Kelvin Beachum displaced Mike Adams as starting LT at practice today. He's expected to start Steelers @ Jets out of bye.— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) October 2, 2013
Adams has had considerable struggles so far this season, and the most isn't entirely surprising. Any kind of decision made this early into their bye week shows a sense of urgency behind the decision, and willingness to admit the issue and look for a solution.
Any move would seem to be the correct one at this point. Adams was beaten badly in Week 4, and has looked generally lost and confused even with the rest of the offensive line improving with each game.
Adams is physically gifted and has shown at times since being drafted in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft to be a quality player. It seems more mental than physical, and perhaps some time on the bench will help him get up to speed with the offense.
In the meantime, Beachum will make his first career start at left tackle - the second time in five games the Steelers would have a player making their first career start at the position. Adams played right tackle last season, and, incidentally, was replaced by Beachum when he suffered an ankle injury in Week 12.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Beachum's long, winding road
- Rams release Max Starks as Ravens trade for Eugene Monroe
- Steelers Postgame News, Updates and Analysis
- Report: Foster initially suffered chest injury in Week 3
- Ben: 'You could say we are the worst team in the league'
- Steelers defense just may lack talent
- It's time for the Steelers to make a change at left tackle
- Antonio Brown among statistical leaders
- Lost in the loss was an impressive debut for Le'Veon Bell