Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert was injured during the fourth quarter of the Steelers' Week 9 game against the Patriots.
Despite a strong comeback during the third quarter, the Patriots overpowered the Steelers down the stretch, and appear to have the game in hand.
Gilbert went down on a completed pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Emmanuel Sanders. The Steelers trailed 41-24 at the time of his injury. Mike Adams replaced him in the game.
This is the latest in a string of injuries for the Steelers' offensive line. Ramon Foster, Guy Whimper and David DeCastro were injured in the team's Week 8 loss to Oakland. DeCastro did not play against the Patriots, and Whimper was a poor replacement for him. The Steelers were crushed in the first half, trailing 24-10 at halftime.
Gilbert had done reasonably well at times, but was not any less susceptible to a Patriots pass rush that harassed Roethlisberger the bulk of the game.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Slaughtered: Everything you need to know after 55-31 loss to New England
- Whether it's the players or the coaches, shellacking shows Steelers need to move in a new direction
- Steelers need to answer the count after absorbing haymaker from Patriots
- Winners and Losers from the Steelers' loss to New England in Week 9
- Steelers vs. Patriots final score: New England wins 55-31, most points Pittsburgh has ever allowed in a game
- Vince Williams injury: rookie linebacker goes down with concussion, replaced by Stevenson Sylvester