Steelers PR manager Burt Lauten tweeted Sunday morning Steelers outside linebacker Jarvis Jones came down with an illness Saturday night, and is now questionable for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers.
.@steelers LB Jarvis Jones came down with an illness Saturday night and is now listed as questionable for today's game at Green Bay.— Burt Lauten (@SteelersPRBurt) December 22, 2013
This is problematic, considering the Steelers just put LaMarr Woodley on injured reserve, and the Steelers are thin at the position. It would likely lead to the first start of the season for veteran OLB Chris Carter, who's only played sparingly this season.
Carter was on the bubble of even making this team from training camp, but a strong performance in the team's final preseason game against Carolina likely boosted him over the top.
If Jones still dresses for the game, he may not be at 100 percent, meaning depth at the position will be critical. The Packers are likely to run the ball frequently in this game, one they're playing without Aaron Rodgers. Jones would likely have been considered a target in their running game, but now, the player on the offensive left edge will have a bulls eye on his chest from the start of this game.
- Steelers vs. Packers: Everything you need to know
- The Standard is The Standard pregame podcast
- Steelers fans are everywhere, just look at The Blind Ref
- 5 reasons the Steelers will beat the Packers
- Steelers vs. Packers: How to watch today's game
- Live from Green Bay: Snow is the third opponent
- Prospects to Watch for in Saturday's Bowl Games
- Invasion Green Bay: BTSC will be at the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field Sunday
- Are the Steelers developing into contenders?
- Play Money: Exploring Steelers CBs and NFL salary cap
- BTSC On Demand: Behind Enemy Lines on Packers Talk