San Diego advances to the wild card round of the AFC Playoffs with a 27-24 overtime win over Kansas City's back-ups in Week 17. The loss eliminates Pittsburgh from the postseason, while San Diego will travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bengals next week.
Officials called safety Eric Weddle down despite no whistle having been blown on a fake punt in overtime. Weddle fumbled, and it appeared his fumble came before a player's helmet came off. Officials said the play was over after that, despite Kansas City having returned the fumble for what would have been a game-winning field goal.
The Steelers' longshot at the postseason ends. They clinch their 10th consecutive non-losing season, and winning their final two games, positive momentum can be built toward 2014.
The playoffs are set, and few Sundays are as wild as the one Pittsburgh fans just underwent.
We'll likely be talking about this for a long time, and certainly every time the NFL's rule ending play when a helmet comes off.
- Steelers postseason rests on resting Chiefs
- Browns vs. Steelers final score: Pittsburgh mows over listless Cleveland, 10th straight non-losing season
- 2014 schedule set, vs. Chiefs, at Jets added with second place finish
- Jerricho Cotchery injury: wide receiver injures right shoulder in end zone
- Steve McLendon injury: Steelers nose tackle goes down with left leg injury in third quarter
- Browns vs. Steelers second half open thread
- Steelers inactives: Jason Worilds out in Week 17 vs. Cleveland