Evidently, Guy Whimper and D'Anthony Batiste were not the tackles the Pittsburgh Steelers were looking for.
The Steelers have waived recent waiver claim Buddy Jackson, a defensive back formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs and the University of Pittsburgh. They waived Jackson to re-sign offensive tackle Mike Farrell, an undrafted rookie out of Penn State.
Pittsburgh is still trying to figure out who will back up Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams at the outside tackle positions. Kelvin Beachum is in the mix, but has been working primarily inside. Farrell will rejoin Joe Long and Mike Golic Jr. to compete for roster and/or practice squad spots.
Jackson's release comes as a surprise with Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, DeMarcus Van Dyke and Terry Hawthorne all subtracted from the secondary for now by injuries. With Jackson gone, expect Isaiah Green and Josh Victorian to play significant time in the Steelers first preseason game against the New York Giants tonight, at 7:30 pm ET.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Giants story stream
- Steelers film breakdown: Kelvin Beachum, not Marcus Gilbert, should start at right tackle
- Mike Tomlin loves him some hambone
- Greg Lloyd: 'guys are not truly football players anymore'
- Steelers vs. Giants: Broadcast information and online stream
- Steelers Roster Bubble: Chris Carter vs. Alan Baxter
- Steelers waive CB Jackson, re-sign OT Mike Farrell
- Preseason TV ratings show why Pittsburgh is a Steelers town
- Giants vs. Steelers: Defensive and special teams depth charts
- Giants vs. Steelers: Offensive depth chart
- Steelers vs. Giants: 5 players to watch in the preseason premier