The Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking to win their first game of the preseason against the Kansas City Chiefs at Heinz Field, but they will do so without the following players:
The @steelers non-dress list: VanDyke, Bell, Redman, Stephens-Howling, Green, Spence, Sylvester, Cheadle, Miller, Spaeth & N. Williams.— Burt Lauten (@SteelersPRBurt) August 24, 2013
Matt Spaeth, Heath Miller, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Sean Spence, Justin Cheadle and Le'Veon Bell were all expected inactives due to injury; however, the rest of the list is somewhat surprising.
LaRod Stephens-Howling sprained an MCL and was speculated to miss the rest of the preseason. He is definitely out for the game tonight. Surprisingly, Isaac Redman will join him on the sidelines in street clothes. Redman was projected to start the game tonight if heatlhy. Evidently, he is not. It's a good thing the Steelers acquired Felix Jones to help Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch and Alvester Alexander carry the load.
Isaiah Green has been giving Josh Victorian a run for his money for one of the final cornerback roster spots. Expect Victorian to catch his snaps which would already have been limited by the return of Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown to the lineup.
Nicholas Williams is also in a dead heat with Brian Arnfelt for any remaining roster spots on defense. He was also technically competing with NTs Hebron Fangupo and Alameda Ta'amu for coach's consideration. If one cannot make the club from the tub, missing a second preseason game will not help his cause.
Stevenson Sylvester is also missing his second preseason game after injuring his ankle early against the New York Giants in the team's first game. He is competing against Marshall McFadden, Vince Williams and others for inside linebacking duties.
Join Behind the Steel Curtain tonight for our first half-open thread and give your takes on how the Steelers are performing in their biggest dress rehearsal before the regular season begins.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Chiefs vs. Steelers first half open thread
- Steelers have eleven players not dressing for tonight's Chiefs preseason game
- Chiefs vs. Steelers: Why Pittsburgh's offensive line will be fine
- Steelers vs Chiefs: Five positions to watch in third week of preseason
- Chiefs vs. Steelers: LaMarr Woodley against Eric Fisher should be match-up to watch
- Source: LaRod Stephens-Howling a 'game-time decision,' but isn't likely to play
- Chiefs vs. Steelers: Game day news, features and updates
- NFL pressures ESPN to back out of concussion documentary
- Weekend Checkdown: the top stories of the week
- Chiefs vs. Steelers: Pittsburgh prepared a game plan for Saturday