The final preseason game is kind of like getting to watch a movie you've wanted to see on an airplane. Sure, it's great to pass the time with something you'd actually want to be doing - an option rarely ever experienced on a plane - but it's just not how you want to watch it.
We're going to be paying attention to special teams tonight, which is like watching paint dry while getting to drink beer. It's not fun but something's there to make it kind of fun. The Steelers' depth at both linebacker positions could end up being the main strength of this team. It appears LBs coach Keith Butler has done a phenomenal job with the younger players, and if nothing else, we get to see that on display.
The progress of Landry Jones, and likely, the opinion of the young man for the next year, right or wrong, will be forged tonight. So that's something.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin hinted at cuts coming well in advance of the 6 p.m. ET Saturday deadline, which only leads us to believe there are just a few spots actually left open right now.
Chat here about which ones, and keep your eye on the main page for other tidbits and features that may pop up during the game. Postgame recap will be the same as usual, so please bring your seatback to a downward comfortable position, and turn up any and all electronic devices as loud as possible, drink services will begin momentarily.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Panthers game day stream: News and updates
- Steelers vs. Panthers: Linebackers are what to watch
- NFL settles concussion suit
- Which Panthers player would you want on the Steelers roster?
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft
- Steelers Film Room: Redman should start
- 5 Questions with Cat Scratch Reader
- Mike Adams sounds off on Johnny Manziel
- A fan's third preseason game dress rehearsal
- Kent State to retire James Harrison's number
- Steelers on Madden 25
- Steelers vs. Panthers: Last-ditch effort for several Steelers first-year players
- Steelers Film Room: The boom or bust running back