Of the players the Steelers released, there are several appealing options as far as guys they might want to keep.
In fact, it's kind of a surprise some of them aren't on the 53-man roster. For now, at least.
A very early practice squad prediction, which doesn't take into account the relatively low possibility of one or two of them getting signed elsewhere:
CB Terry Hawthorne - Steelers fifth round pick, had some injury issues, which was detrimental in his efforts, but he's a young player with enough potential to have grabbed the Steelers' attention in the first place.
CB Josh Victorian - A somewhat game-tested cornerback, perhaps a lack of impact on special teams hurt him in the end.
LB Marshall McFadden - Still looks to be a potential contributor in the near future.
OL Mike Golic Jr. - Still a work-in-progress, but at a position the Steelers may need a starting-level player in the near future. Any of the five offensive line positions, actually, and it seemed like Golic tried all of them at various points. Could be a developmental kind of player in the mold of Kelvin Beachum and Trai Essex (both made the team their rookie years, though).
DL Brian Arnfelt - Did enough this preseason to consider his cut a surprise. Very strong, very smart player.
WR Justin Brown - Beaten out in a very competitive battle with Derek Moye. Still isn't far behind him.
DL Alameda Ta'amu - Something of a surprise cut, perhaps an early hamstring injury held him back in camp. Still, he was a fourth round pick in 2012, it's tough to think the Steelers would want to get rid of him now, considering how much time they've put in, and the public scrutiny they've faced over his legal situation.
OLB Alan Baxter - Veteran Chris Carter's two-sack performance must have been enough to keep him on the team for another year. Baxter was impressive all camp. This won't be the last we hear of him.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster cuts: Everything we know
- Miller's status still unknown after activation from PUP
- Dwyer may stay inside the division
- Redman made the club from the tub
- Projecting the Steelers game-day actives
- A punter's lot is not a happy one
- Felix Jones runs the stretch better than Dwyer
- How in the world is Guy Whimper on this team?
- Surprised by Dwyer's release? Shouldn't be
- Fangupo grabs nose tackle spot over Ta'amu
- Steelers release Jonathan Dwyer
- 2013 Steelers roster and open thread
- Risk and reward of pursuing free agent OT J'Marcus Webb
- Practice squad rules and which Steelers are eligible
- NFL roster cuts of interest to the Steelers - UPDATES
- Weekend Checkdown