It had to be sort of a bitter report to file.
Rarely does a team put so much collective experience and need on the injured-reserve list at the same time. Monday, the Steelers placed center Maurkice Pouncey, linebacker Larry Foote and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling on IR, ending their seasons.
Also, kicker Shaun Suisham suffered a hamstring injury, and he will be out for a few weeks.
In response to those moves, the Steelers have or will sign RB Jonathan Dwyer, K Shayne Graham and C/G Fernando Velasco.
Dwyer, as fans remember, was released by the Steelers in their final roster cuts. Graham the long-time Bengals kicker, was recently released by the Cleveland Browns. He kicked for the Houston Texans last season.
Velasco was with the Tennessee Titans last year, making 16 starts - 12 at center and three at left guard. A former undrafted free agent from Georgia in 2008, he was beaten out for a roster spot in Tennessee.
It's likely all three will get significant playing time against Cincinnati in Week 2 - if not start outright. Dwyer would replace Redman, who rushed eight times for nine yards in the loss, fumbling twice (although one was due to a rushed exchange from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger). Velasco has an extra day to learn the offense and the calls (the Steelers are at Cincinnati for Monday Night Football in Week 2), and judging by the performance and relative inexperience at the position from Kelvin Beachum, the extra day of work will all but assure Velasco will start.
Graham will replace Suisham on the game day roster, but Suisham remains on their 53-man roster.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Homer's take on the State of Steeler Nation
- Steelers PFF grades: Week 1 vs. Tennessee Titans
- Steelers sign kicker Shayne Graham
- Steelers sign C/G Fernando Velasco in wake of Maurkice Pouncey injury
- Steelers 2013: Are we witnessing the fall of the House of Colbert?
- Steelers running game can't get worse, and that's a good thing
- New Steelers defenders shine despite Week 1 loss to Titans
- 5 things we learned from the Steelers loss to the Tennessee Titans in Week 1
- Steelers will re-sign running back Jonathan Dwyer
- Winners and Losers from Steelers loss to Tennessee Titans