Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Kelvin Beachum will start at center in Week 2, when the Steelers travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bengals on Monday Night Football.
The Steelers lost starter Maurkice Pouncey for the season when he tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee against Tennessee in Week 1. Beachum replaced Pouncey, who was injured just eight plays into the game.
Fernando Velasco was signed to the roster Monday, but the Steelers are going with Beachum, the second-year player who had not played center in a game at any point of his football career before Sunday.
Beachum didn't fare particularly well during the game, having been handled by Titans defensive tackle Jurell Casey. The Steelers rushed for 32 yards and had less than 200 total yards in the game. They allowed five sacks of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
The Bengals (0-1) have one of the game's best defensive front sevens, anchored by DT Geno Atkins, who's arguably the best interior defensive lineman in football.
With an extra day to prepare, though, Beachum won't be thrown into the fire the way he was against Tennessee. It's difficult to handle Atkins after five weeks of preparation, though.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers Film Room: Week 1 vs. Titans
- Jones and Worilds are co-starters
- Opinions on Miller in Week 2 differ
- Redman and Bell still co-starters despite acquisition of Dwyer
- Vince Williams vs. Kion Wilson for Steelers starting ILB
- Heath Miller may return in Week 2
- Meet Fernando Velasco, the Steelers newest roster addition
- Steelers focus on conditioning is not preventing injuries
- Mike Wallace acts like diva receivers of the past
- Rundown of the Steelers roster moves from Monday
- Homer's take on the State of Steeler Nation
- Steelers PFF grades: Week 1 vs. Tennessee Titans
- Steelers sign kicker Shayne Graham
- Steelers sign C/G Fernando Velasco in wake of Maurkice Pouncey injury
- Steelers 2013: Are we witnessing the fall of the House of Colbert?