Steelers practice squad cornerback Devin Smith gave congratulations to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, center Maurkice Pouncey, safety Ryan Clark and defensive end Brett Keisel for being named captains of the 2013 Steelers.
S/o to our captains for the season @_BigBen7 @MaurkicePouncey @bkeisel99 and Ryan Clark #SteelersNation #CongratsFellas— Devin Smith (@DevinSmithCB) September 2, 2013
Roethlisberger is a natural choice, and has been captain for several years. Likewise, Keisel has served in the role previously, and, as the eldest member of the Steelers team, he's already considered a leader in the locker room. Clark, the quarterback of the secondary, has always provided a sense of leadership over the group that's primarily responsible for leading the NFL in passing yards against the last two seasons.
Pouncey, at 24 years of age and with a not-so-inconspicuous offseason, may raise an eyebrow or two. His flippant attitude in wearing a hat proclaiming the support of college teammate and accused murderer Aaron Hernandez brought out questions regarding his maturity.
However, a center being given that distinction is one thing; regardless, the position itself holds a certain level of responsibility not required of most other positions on the field. Pouncey needs to be a leader, whether or not his teammates and coaches see him as one of the faces of the team.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers roster cuts: Everything we know
- Is Colbert refining his strategy?
- Jonathan Dwyer's release: Everything we know
- Steelers 2013 season preview in 9 questions
- Dwyer lining up workouts, as reported by Baltimore Sun
- Geno Atkins signs 5-year extension with Bengals
- Report: Steelers coaches not behind Dwyer's release
- Winless preseasons often indicate rocky regular seasons
- Jonathan Dwyer unclaimed on waivers
- Meet Cody Wallace, the Steelers newest roster member
- Steelers sign eight to the practice squad
- NFL Practice Squad rules and which former 2013 Steelers are eligibile
- Getting a feel for the 2013 Steelers
- Derek Moye lost his father before making the roster
- Miller's status still unknown after activation from PUP Follow @NealCoolong