Placekicker Shaun Suisham will be working with his third-different holder in as many seasons when new addition Zoltan Mesko takes over for the 2013 season. Luckily, as head coach Mike Tomlin pointed out during his press conference Tuesday, Suisham is not a 'high-maintenance kicker'.
The Steelers signed Suisham to replace their last kicker Jeff Reed, who had become a bit 'high-maintenance' with multiple alcohol related run-ins with authorities. Suisham was nearly perfect in 2012 while working with rookie punter Drew Butler as his holder, and none of his three misses were a result of poor holding.
Mesko held during his stay with the New England Patriots for kicker Stephen Gostkowski, and coach Tomlin declared confidence in Mesko's ability to continue those responsibilities with last year's holder Butler released to make room for Mesko.
Special teams will be a hot topic this season due to new personnel and coaching. Tomlin acknowledged his kick coverage units will be facing some of the league's best return men, and how his units will be tested on a weekly basis. Tomlin pointed out the special teams work of Antwon Blake, another recent acquisition from the Jacksonville Jaguars. Special teams contributions also helped secure roster spots for players like Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, Chris Carter and Kion Wilson.
Poor special teams play had a hand in the Steelers dismal 2012 season. If the mistakes of the past have been corrected, the team will only be closer to returning to their winning ways.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Jonathan Dwyer's release: Everything we know
- Tomlin concerned with Locker's mobility
- Steelers start/sit Fantasy Football advice: Give Isaac Redman a look in Week 1
- Titans vs. Steelers: The importance of Jason Worilds' opportunity to start this weekend
- Matt Spaeth placed in IR-Designation to Return, Steelers activate OLB Terence Garvin from Practice Squad
- Steelers coach Tomlin talks about irrelevancy of preseason and depth charts
- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin addresses release of Jonathan Dwyer
- Steelers Injury Report: Le'Veon Bell out, Isaac Redman to start vs Titans
- Will Johnson & Jarvis Jones Participating in Practice This Week
- Tomlin: Heath Miller Day-to-Day
- The case for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013: Part One
- John Malecki's road from practice squad to roster to roster cut can't be easy
- Heath Miller keeps working closer to his return