The Steelers didn't plan to go into the 2013 season without their two top tight ends - Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth.
While Miller may be back in the next few weeks, Spaeth will definitely be out until after Week 6 at the earliest. The team placed him on the injured reserve-designated to return list Tuesday, a few weeks after Spaeth suffered a foot injury in practice.
With the free roster space, the Steelers activated linebacker Terence Garvin from their practice squad. WR Kashif Moore was signed in Garvin's place on the practice squad.
Garvin, a college safety and linebacker, will likely contribute via special teams, if he gets a game-day helmet.
The Steelers host the Tennessee Titans in the regular-season opener Sunday. Tennessee defeated the Steelers 26-23 last year in Tennessee, avenging a 38-17 beating the Steelers put on them in Pittsburgh in 2011.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Jonathan Dwyer's release: Everything we know
- Beachum will see time at tight end
- Jonathan Dwyer meets with the Giants
- Tomlin concerned with Locker's mobility
- Steelers start/sit Fantasy Football advice: Give Isaac Redman a look in Week 1
- Titans vs. Steelers: The importance of Jason Worilds' opportunity to start this weekend
- Recently acquired Zoltan Mesko will be new holder for Shaun Suisham and Steelers
- Steelers coach Tomlin talks about irrelevancy of preseason and depth charts
- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin addresses release of Jonathan Dwyer
- Steelers Injury Report: Le'Veon Bell out, Isaac Redman to start vs Titans
- Will Johnson & Jarvis Jones Participating in Practice This Week
- Tomlin: Heath Miller Day-to-Day