Watching Broncos tight end Julius Thomas is sort of like watching someone on TV cook a steak.
Practical reasons aside, you usually watch it wanting to get your own steak.
Perhaps the Steelers could find a nice steak in North Carolina TE Eric Ebron. That's who Eat, Drink and Sleep Football is sending to Pittsburgh with the No. 15 pick in their most recent mock draft.
A first team All-ACC selection, Ebron set the conference record for most receiving yards in a season by a tight end this year.
Not exactly the most in-depth analysis we've seen to this point, but maybe that's all we need to know. Ebron is a tight end who can catch the ball. That's a positive thing, and perhaps Ebron's upside - he's still young and still has some growing to do but he has boatloads of athletic ability - is enough to justify the 15th overall pick.
This will no doubt bring back conversations from last year between the pro-and-anti-Tyler Eifert crowds, and fairly so. Many of the same arguments will exist. But the level of dynamic ability of a tight end in the Steelers' offense was proved throughout the second half of the season - when the Steelers actually had a somewhat healthy tight end who wasn't named David Paulson. Sometimes, they even had two healthy tight ends not named Paulson.
Keeping that intact for the future might be a good thing.
- Mock Draft: Steelers select DE Stephon Tuitt
- Mock Draft: Steelers select OLB Khalil Mack
- Mel Kiper mock draft: Nix to Steelers at 15
- Mock Draft: Steelers select WR Mike Evans
- Mock Draft: Steelers select CB Justin Gilbert
- Mock Draft Monday: Lewan to Steelers
- Kiper sends Red Bryant to Steelers in 2008 re-ax
- Mock Draft: Steelers select C.J. Mosley
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Darqueze Dennard
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Ra'Shede Hageman