CBS Sports has a good handle on the movings and shakings of each year's upcoming NFL Draft. They've got side-by-side mock drafts updated frequently. On one side of their latest, Rob Rang sends Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III to Pittsburgh.
The other side is more interesting, though. The deep secondary may not have the deepest crop of prospects, but it's an area of need for the Steelers.
Dane Brugler sees that angle of need for the Steelers, and sends Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Pittsburgh at No. 15 overall.
It's a logical pick. One way or another, one round or another, the Steelers will have to address their secondary. While cornerback could be more of a pressing need immediately in 2014 (and a possible target in free agency), safety will still be a concern.
The question is whether Clinton-Dix is worthy of the 15th overall pick?
It wasn't long ago fellow Crimson Tide product Mark Barron was bouncing around the board similarly to Clinton-Dix. Ultimately, Tampa Bay took Barron in the top-10 after a slight trade down, and it appears to be working out reasonably well. If the Steelers stay put at 15, will the best player available at a position of need produce the result of the commissioner reading his name?
He's another player who's Combine and Pro Day results will be very intriguing.
- Mock Draft: Steelers trade up, select OT Robinson
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Marqise Lee
- 2014 Post Senior Bowl Mock Draft
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Anthony Barr at 15
- Mock Draft: Mosley on the edge of possibility
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Darqueze Dennard
- Mock Draft: Steelers select Eric Ebron
- Mock Draft: Steelers select DE Stephon Tuitt