Today's news of Louis Delmas visiting the Steelers should be considered an appetizer, nothing more, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.
But that doesn't mean the fact they even hosted a visit should be ignored.
Would not expect anything to develop quickly between the Steelers and S Louis Delmas. His visit more of a look-see than a deal-maker— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) February 17, 2014
Delmas, as Pride of Detroit editor Sean Yuille said, was released mainly because of his $6 million price tag and injury history - not to mention his reckless style. That doesn't eliminate the possibility the two sides won't ever come to a deal, but Delmas was slated to make a lot more than the veteran's minimum. Perhaps the Steelers are in the market to pay a buck or two more than that on a veteran safety.
The team still has a few cap-related moves to make, but kicking the tires on a few free agents before those free agents under contract at the end of the 2013 season become eligible to sign elsewhere could be an indication the Steelers are preparing to add a player or more from a source other than the draft.
- Ryan Clark wishes Louis Delmas the best via Twitter
- Report: Free agent safety Louis Delmas visiting Steelers Monday
- The best rushing seasons in Steelers history
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers land a 'Steelers cornerback' with Darqueze Dennard at 15
- 2014 NFL Draft Prospect: Khalil Mack is the best defensive player available
- Tunch Ilkin says Mike Munchak will teach Mike Adams how to prepare