The Pittsburgh Steelers have 21 players who will be unrestricted free agents when their currents contracts expire March 21, so management has quite a few decisions to make before the roster is set.
Here is a position-by-position look at the current players and what could occur during the upcoming months. This 14th story looks at the punters, place-kickers and long-snappers.
PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have one place-kicker, one punter and one long-snapper under contract for this year. However, Shaun Suisham is the only one who played for the club last season. But Suisham has just one season remaining on his most recent agreement at $1.425 million this year. He will be an unrestricted free agent in 2015, but probably will be re-signed.
The same might not be the case for punter Mat McBriar and long-snapper Greg Warren, who had that roles with the Steelers last year. McBriar finished strong after the club went through several punters through training camp and into the season, but Brad Wing was signed to a reserve-future contract this month. It's likely that McBriar or someone else will be signed to compete in camp.
Warren has been with the Steelers for all nine of his years in the NFL, including the past four with Suisham. The only snapper under contract is Bryce Davis, who signed a reserve-future deal this month. All three positions -- punter (holder), place-kicker and long-snapper -- are all critical to the operation for placements. So, how well they work together is a big part of it. That's why re-signing the two unrestricted free agents, Warren and McBriar, is highly likely.
- Steelers Roster Projections: Safeties
- Steelers Roster Projections: Cornerbacks
- Steelers Roster Projections: Outside linebackers
- Steelers Roster Projections: Inside linebackers
- Steelers 2014 Roster Projections: Defensive ends
- Steelers 2014 Roster Projections: Nose tackles
- 2014 Steelers Roster Projections: Centers
- 2014 Steelers Roster Projections: Offensive guards
- Steelers 2014 roster projections: Offensive tackle
- Steelers 2014 Roster Projections: Tight ends
- Steelers 2014 roster projections: Wide receivers
- Steelers 2014 Roster Projections: Running backs
- Steelers Roster Projections: Quarterbacks