Sure, this is a Steelers blog, but unfortunately the Black & Gold aren't like the Harlem Globetrotters. In other words, they are part of a league. And, they aren't a synchronized swimming team. That means their competitors are on the field of play at the same time they are. In fact, rumor has it that coaches take into consideration their opponents strengths, weaknesses, and roster when preparing for the game.
What are some of these other teams up to? Let's take a look at 5 bits of news from around the league:
1) The Seattle Seahawks star quarterback Russell Wilson is grossly underpaid and currently in negotiations for a contract that reflects his elite performance. He also mentioned in a recent interview that he would consider playing both football and baseball if he had a contract with the Seattle Mariners.
2) The San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates was suspended for performance enhancing drugs. He will sit out four games and resume play in week five against the Steelers.
3) Division Rival Baltimore Ravens have the fourth best backup quarterback situation in the league in Matt Schaub, according to CBSSports.com. Interestingly, Schaub has a higher quarterback rating than Flacco. I'm not sure if this list factors in heart. I'm thinking back to Charlie Batch leading the Steelers to victory over the Ravens in 2012 after a devastating loss to the Browns.
4) The Ravens secondary is still weak. Last season they gave up over 50 plays of 20 yards or more. The Steelers have one of the strongest passing games in the league, so a weak Ravens secondary could make for impressive Steelers stats.
5) NFL.com listed the top up-and-coming QB-WR combinations. The Steelers Ben Roethlisberger and Martavis Bryant made the list along with several pairs from the Black & Gold's 2015 season schedule: Cardinals Carson Palmer and John Brown, Colts Andrew Luck and Donte Moncrief, and the Rams Nick Foles to Tavon Austin.