Another week is in the books, and another week where strange, and sometimes inappropriate, thoughts go through this black and gold mind. Either way, this article stemmed from the craziness, so take a step inside my mind after the Week 2 shutout against the Eagles last week,
- Watching preseason games gets tougher and tougher each year. It's like going to see Journey with the Asian guy, instead of Steve Perry, on lead vocals...you want to hear "Don't Stop Believin’" and you get to, but it isn't the same and still leaves you feeling somewhat unfulfilled.
- Speaking of preseason games. Why do we still need four (and in some cases five)? The Steelers two days practicing jointly with the Lions was pretty sufficient. I know it's a money maker for the teams, but that revenue isn't as important as the health of your players. Knock it down to three and share the gate in that third contest.
- I know Roger Goodell is supposed to be partial, but my gut feeling is that he relished seeing James Harrison's name on the Al Jazeera list. I'm getting a Principal Ed Rooney vibe from him, in that he'll do anything to prove that Ferris Bueller is a bad seed. Let's just hope it doesn't result in a bad sequel 30 years later...Deebo's Days Off.
- Give credit to James Harrison. Even though he is a "stick-to-your-guns" guy, he said he wouldn't punish his teammates by getting suspended for not meeting with the NFL.
- I want the Steelers to sign an injury-free Keenan Lewis. But Lewis' hip is not 100% healed and that is why the Saints let him go. He's not coming back. The Jets will gamble on him. That seems like a Jets move. Signing Lewis would be a lot like the presence of the Joker in "Suicide Squad". He was hardly there.
- Landry Jones’ four interceptions last week really should put the Steelers in desperation mode. When you notice seeping sores underneath your boxers, you panic and call the doctor. What's it going to take to realize that this is the arm of the franchise if Ben Roethlisberger goes down? It's time to feverishly panic-dial. Now!!!!!!!!!!
- Waiting for Godot. Waiting for Guffman. I'm waiting for Golson. Senquez says he'll be back in seven weeks from lisfranc surgery. That would be awesome. Maybe a little too optomistic to see him in Week 5 though. I'm just hoping for something.
- The NFL's knocking of a game off of Le'Veon Bell's suspension is good news for fans and the team, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is a severe lack-of-discipline problem in Pittsburgh. My parents took TV away from me for two weeks once in 1981. They stuck to their guns and after 14 days without "Diff'rent Strokes" and "Three's Company"...I walked the line (or hid my transgressions a whole lot better).
- I'm betting big on Ross Cockrell this year. I just have that feeling.
- Ladarius Green is emphatic that he doesn't suffer from headaches. Good. But why did we have to let this rumor fester for so long?
- Vince Williams signed a new deal with the Steelers this week. Do you think he put his agent hat on and made a pitch for the team to sign his brother Karlos before putting pen to paper? If he didn't, he should have.
- I don't think the Williams deal is necessarily the end-of-the-line for veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons. "The Law Dog" has made it clear he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and could quite possibly stay for a team-friendly deal.
- If you don't know who Eli Rogers is. You will soon.
- Artie Burns, Sean Davis and Javon Hargrave desperately need to be on the field for a full sixty on Friday.
- Tyler Matakevich will be plucked from the Practice Squad faster than you can say Chris Fuamata Ma'afala. He needs to make the final 53.
- I wonder what Lupe Sanchez is doing these days.
Until next week, be good...or be good at it.