A knee jerk reaction is common for most people, especially sports fans. Of course, I like to shoot first and apologize later. In this series, I like to record my immediate emotional reaction. I have those often. I know you in Steeler Nation do too. After we have a chance to review things, we tend to alter our mindset. While watching the Steelers squeak by the Colts, I recorded my initial thoughts in real time with no time to reconsider them. Take these in. As always, I welcome you to weigh in.
- Everybody knew Big Ben would go deep to Martavis Bryant in the first series. My puppy knew it and she doesn't really follow football. Know wonder it was picked off. But Martavis could have reversed that if he had fought for that ball.
- Ramon Foster whiffed big time on the first sack of Ben Roethlisberger. Everybody looks out of sync so far.
- The injury to Joe Haden looked serious and painful as it occurred. Watching him walk into the locker room (instead of being carted) is encouraging.
- AB can't drop balls like that.
- The Haden injury is being felt already. It left Artie Burns alone on an island and he just completely got lambasted on that blown coverage for a Donte Moncrief TD.
- Joe Haden goes down, Vance McDonald is now down. Two of the last-minute acquisitions of the preseason get hurt. Makes you wonder if JJ Wilcox us next.
- That was pure Houdini stuff from Lev Bell on the 15 yard run. He needs to take over this game.
- Obviously Antonio Brown thought he was going to get destroyed on that long pass from Ben. He short-armed and kept up on that attempt at catching the ball.
- Nothing us going right. I'm trying to find positives, but this is a suckfest so far.
- Kyle Kalis just got nailed for offsides for the Colts. His dad, Todd, was a quality lineman in 1994 for Pittsburgh.
- Every attempt to Martavis Bryant is predictable. That's why they don't amount to anything.
- Shazier has missed a second tackle. Everybody seems off.
- Watt is having an off day as well.
- Good teams come back to win games like this in the second half. Let's hope this team is who we think they are.
- Nice gang sack. A drive at the end of the half could be a page turner.
- Ben is falling apart with under a minute left in the half.
- I'll take the three, but I feel they could have had more there.
- Wow! It's getting worse. Joe Haden's absence is huge.
- Mitchell getting carted off and now Haden in crutches. Nuts!
- Nice job from JuJu to clutch that ball against his helmet on that big gain. Shades of AB from the playoffs seven years back.
- Big Al just pulled on a run and kind of whiffed. He looked like a dancing bear.
- Could we hear Eli Rogers name called for something good this year? Just once at least.
- Nice TD for JuJu, but what was that celebration attempt? Definitely not his best.
- Jesse James may have saved the game with that hustle on the 2PC.
- Gay's hold could be devestating. The play of the team is very undisciplined.
- It's a shame that Vince Williams big play is for naught because of the forward progress is not challengeable.
- The Steelers got lucky on the third down stop of Jacoby Brissett. I was sweating a flag on Stephon Tuitt.
- That PI on AB was ticky-tack.
- Here comes Jacoby Brissett back. Watch him carve up the defense even more now.
- That was one crazy pick for Shazier. It took a lot of athleticism and control to do that.
- Not a fan of celebrating big when losing. But that's just me.
- Huge effort by Big Ben to find Vance McDonald. Nice to see Vance score.
- Did Todd Haley just mouth STFU to Big Ben?
- What happened on the delay? Did Lev Bell not know he was supposed to be out there?
- Nice exchange between Big Ben and Martavis. Pretty hookup and great show of maturity by Bryant.
- Team looks fired up now.
- Missed field goal. You can't let a team like this hang around.
- Sensabaugh had nice coverage there on T.Y. Hilton.
- Sweating the challenge on Eli Rogers first down.
- I hope Martavis understands his importance to his team. They went to him in a crucial spot and he came up huge. Yes!!!! struggle, but come
- Players will struggle, but the great ones come through in the clutch. AB is a great player.
WHERE BAD WAS RIGHT:
- The team was out of sync for a majority of the game.
- Joe Haden's injury seemed devastating and will hurt.
- Jesse James did indeed save the game with that hustle on the 2PC.
- JuJu's celebration was a dud.
- Good teams come back and win games in which they struggle. This must be a good team
WHERE BAD WAS WRONG
- Almost everywhere
- Vance McDonld returned from apparent injury and J.J. Wilcox stayed healthy.
- Joe Haden walking into the locker room was good, but you can walk on a broken fibula.
- The play calling for Martavis Bryant ceased being predictable and he came up huge.
- Jacoby Brissett struggled after his return and wasn't the same.
As always, it is now time to rewatch highlights and pen my apologies. Thanks for indulging this jerk's patella ponderings.