The spirit of a knee jerk reaction is to state the first thing that comes to mind without much analysis or thought. I could be off base on a lot of these, but I'm sharing my immediate thoughts after watching the Steelers lose their first preseason affair of 2017, 19-15 to the Colts.
- Knile Davis and Fitzgerald Toussaint (now ailing) are a far cry from DeAngelo Williams. I'd rather see Terrell "The Nightmare" Watson be RB3 behind Le'Veon Bell and James Conner.
- I love me some JuJu Smith-Schuster, but his penchant for sustaining injury is a concern. However, No. 19 has a toughness and intestinal fortitude that you just can't teach. But it could be proof his mentoring, and his time, with Hines Ward is greatly paying off.
- A healthy Ryan Shazier will make a huge difference to the LB corps. As impressive as Vince Williams and "Dirty Red" are in pursuit and against the run...they lack quite a bit when dropping into coverage. But Shazier in coverage is a definite asset, and he showed it with his nice interception against Indy.
- Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown looked to be in mid-season form.
- A huge X-Factor for this offense could be TE Xavier Grimble. Ben seems to trust him, and I think he could reach the end zone five to six times this year.
- We talk a lot about the dynamic duo of Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant. I think it’s more of a tremendous trio with Eli Rogers running around in the slot. He looked pretty good working with Ben during the first few series on Saturday.
- Big Alejandro Villanueva looked rough early on, but I'm sure he’ll lock it down. Ben needs his LT to be impenetrable. Plus, I’m not sure the sack-fumble on the first drive was all Big Al’s fault.
- I surely hope Defensive Coordinator Keith Butler is holding back a lot on defense and saving something for the regular season. If not, yikes!! The secondary looks suspect.
- Artie Burns’ tackling needs to improve. Twice against Indy, nothing became something because he couldn't wrap it up.
- I'm sad for the Steelers, Steeler Nation and Senquez Golson. It's gotta be killing this kid that he can't see the field even for a preseason game. If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have none at all. But I just see them taking the loss of a second-rounder at this point.
- In the same 2015 draft when Golson was picked, Sammie Coates went third. I think that might keep Coates around for another year.
- Is the return game an afterthought at this point? I think they need to find room for Trey Williams as a return man like Stefan Logan in 2009. He's really their most explosive bet.
- The Daniel McCullers experience may be winding down soon.
- Cameron Sutton's debut was very positive. He could settle in quite nicely.
Am I crazy, or am I, in fact, on to something? That's what the comment section is for. My knee will be jerking after every game of 2017. Let's hope there’s no undue wear and tear on my patella.