After a successful bye week and an emotional day of senseless tragedy, the Steelers needed to make a statement after tying Cleveland to start 2018, As always, I make my snap judgements as the game goes along. If you want to know how my emotions fluctuated throughout the day, keep on reading.
Nonetheless, a simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later. I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steeler Nation. Here’s my real-time reactions during the Steelers’ most recent quest for redemption.
- I’m pleased that the organization honored the Squirrel Hill victims before the game.
- Duke Johnson Jr. is a Brown I admire. He’d make a good Steeler.
- Nice blitz by Bud Dupree.
- Third down will tell you early who this defense is.
- Yeah, I don’t love that answer.
- Love the throwback numbers, but they took a while to notice.
- Did not know, Matt Feiler was known as “the anchor”. Who gave him that name?
- Hate the play call on third down. It’ll be 10-0 soon.
- Too many penalty calls already. On both teams.
- Knew the pick was coming. Offense looks stale early.
- Chubb is a definite load.
- Chickillo is oh-so-close two plays in a row.
- Steeler first quarter football continues to be abysmal.
- How is Berry still here?
- Amazing escape from Mayfield. He’s fun to watch, but not against Pittsburgh.
- Hilton makes a huge difference on defense.
- Ben isn’t right early.
- I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot of Justin Hunter today.
- Ben to AB. Now that was pure beauty.
- That Hyde trade could make the Browns so much better, just because of the expanded opportunities for Chubb.
- Mike Hilton is becoming one of the most important players on the defense.
- At the same moment I was arguing with my buddy that Joe Haden is still a difference maker, he makes an exceptional pick.
- Foster led the way for Conner. Good redemption.
- Nice stretch by Hunter.
- This one should be overturned.
- Are Ben and Randy Fichtner calling sneaks just to spite Todd Haley.
- JuJu just had to play defense there. He’s better than Artie.
- Like AB, JuJu looks so natural catching the ball.
- How did they spend all of those timeouts?
- Gutsy play calling, I love it,
- Ben just threw a bullet to No. 84. Could have gone terribly wrong if he didn’t. Nice execution by No. 7.
- If AB doesn’t slow down, he’s going all the way.
- Bell is not the only one that can catch the ball out of the slot.
- But maybe not Switzer.
- Don’t want it to be, but that was a fumble on Ridley to me.
- That is an opportunity lost with that fumble.
- Can’t stop playing. There is too much time and too light of a lead.
- Safety. Bud was going to just crush Mayfield. Baker was anticipating the sack by dipping down.
- Shades of Barry Foster in 1990. Unacceptable to let that ball free on the free kick.
- If they lose this game, blame it on right here.
- Blatant PI by Edmunds.
- Falling apart.
- Conner isn’t giving up He’s running with heart and pride.
- Toe Tap Tony!
- That was huge. James Feakin’ Conner!
- Boswell could be back to normal now.
- The defense has stepped up again. Tuitt seems to have arrived.
- Too bad Mayfield’s knees were down, that would have been a fun and much needed turnover for the defense.
- Good to see Watt back in the game.
- The driving rain could hamper the Browns in their comeback bid.
- Good move bringing in Samuels. No need to see Conner the rest of the game.
- Conner is amazing.
- Not happy about the Browns scoring, but they came close to my 34-20 prediction.
- Good win.
So...now as I replay the game more and more in my head, my perceptions and maybe my prescriptions will alter. But for now, you just got a glimpse of the first thoughts that popped in my mind while I was watching this game. Feel free to get your knee jerks on in the comments section.