A knee jerk reaction is common for most people, especially Steelers fans. Of course, I like to shoot first and apologize later. In this series, I like to record my immediate emotional reaction, which I have often.
I know you in Steeler Nation do too.
After we have a chance to review things, we tend to alter our mindset. While watching the 51-34 exhibition game loss by the Steelers to the Packers, I recorded my initial thoughts in real time with no time to reconsider them. Take these in.
As always, I welcome you to weigh in.
- Ouch! Mason looked his receiver all the way on that pick-six.
- The best thing to do here is to let Rudolph throw after the pick-six. See what kind of intestinal fortitude he has.
- Nice to see the defensive pressure from Vince Williams.
- Teams are going to exploit the middle of the field on the pass. It’s not gonna stop.
- Scratch that compliment about defensive pressure.
- Look at Terrell Edmunds battling for the ball.
- Jimmy Graham is a good example of what the defense needs to stop.
- I’m having flashbacks to Super Bowl XLV.
- Why is the yinzer in the bumblebee jersey joining in on the Lambeau Leap kudos?
- I like the patience of James Conner.
- I really like the battling ability of No. 30 as well.
- Conner’s ypc has got to be off the charts.
- It’s rare that a one minute drive of 73-yards with only runs occur.
- Edmunds is really showing up so far. He forced and recovered that fumble.
- Really impressive comeback by Rudolph.
- JuJu Smith-Schuster is like a WR1-A.
- Check out JuJu with the “Yinzer Leap”.
- I have no problem with the PI on Bostic. I have issue with the horrendous coverage that led to the PI.
- Morgan Burnett has a case of the tackles. I hope it proves contagious.
- I don’t understand the need for Fitz Toussaint to return kicks. I know what he can do. I want to see Quadree Henderson.
- However, Fitz looks lean and is running mean. He’s fighting for his football life. A good RB is going to be looking for a new opportunity come Labor Day.
- Did Chuks just clothesline a guy?
- Stiff-arm by No. 2. This guy’s a gamer.
- Dont go for a FG. You need to test your young QB.
- No place for the Steelers to go on fourth down. I like the guts though.
- That “lowering the head” rule is going to be my source of a cardiac arrest.
- Burnett needs to tutor his young rookie compadre (Edmunds) on his tackling technique.
- Big Dan is playing for his career and it kind of shows.
- First-team guys on defense looked second-rate on Brett Hundley’s TD run.
- Burnett has shown good coverage skills as well.
- Blind-Side Bud. That sack was sweet.
- Cam Sutton flies around out there like crazy.
- Jesse James could’ve helped his QB on that play.
- I’m not sure if the Steelers wouldn’t be better off keeping both Adenyi and Keion Adams over Anthony Chickillo. I’m not seeing enough out of the veteran.
- Did Sensabaugh get away with one there?
- Adenyi’s first step is impressive. Deebo Jr. anyone?
- Mason isn’t lighting the world on fire, but he played a lot better with the starting O-Line. He’s getting crushed.
- It might be time for Jordan Berry to go back to the late shift at McDonalds. He’s not the same punter that arrived three years ago.
- Body-wise, Lavon Hooks looks like LeVon Kirkland.
- That was good coverage by Brian Allen. Don’t want to be a homer, but crappy PI call.
- Edmunds tried to get his hands up on the TD, put that play was too tall all the way around.
- Some ugly balls are coming out of Mason’s arm, but he’s facing massive pressure.
- That was an ugly second
- Wait. Pittsburgh Dad has commercials. I get the familiarity, but when are people going to realize that this guy isn’t that funny?
- I want to see newly-acquired OT Zach Banner play. He could answer the depth problems for Munchak’s group.
- Dobbs with a pick-six. Maybe those out-routes aren’t that great of an idea. I wish I drank.
- James Washington with the combat-catch again. This guy reminds me of JuJu from a year ago. That stable of receivers will be special.
- I must say I like parts of Dobbs’ game. The TD pass was nice and his running on the 2PC was sweet as well, but he’s merely in there to boost his trade value (if any) at this point.
- Brian Allen went for the pick. I have no problem with that. But No. 31 Nat Behre was pathetic on the Kumerow TD.
- Wow! Matthew Thomas showed major speed in pursuit on that play.
- Jaylen Samuels has some skills. I see him as a future third down weapon.
- I know I’m not overly critical usually, but even the Special Teams suck tonight.
- Banner got in there and looked effective.
- Once again, the middle of the field was wide open. Fort couldn’t stay with the big TE.
- Matthew Thomas is showing some ability. I’d like to see him get a long look.
- Cam Sutton is actually looking suspect in this quarter.
- If I didn’t know any background, I’d think Dobbs was the front runner for QB3.
- James Washington is the real deal, not just as deep guy.
- Damoun Patterson hasn’t lost too much luster from Week 1 to Week 2.
- A Griffey sighting. I always wanted to see that name on a Pittsburgh uni. Too bad, wrong sport.
- The police officer that took down a half-naked drunk guy had one of the best tackles of the night.
- Washington again. Flash back to the draft when you complained about this pick. There were a lot of naysayers.
- If it wasn’t for two pick-sixes, this could be a 37-35 game.
- Thomas might be the best coverage-ILB on the team right now.
- Quadree Henderson is getting some return chances, but hasn’t done anything to shine.
- Do I smell comeback? Just kidding.
- Why am I still watching?
- Not going to grade this well, but still some positives.
Now I will analyze the replay of the game and my opinions may alter some. Where am I spot on and way off? I’m sure you’ll let me know.