A knee jerk reaction is defined by Webster’s as an immediate unthinking emotional reaction. I have those often. I know you in Steeler Nation are prone to them too. While watching the very first exhibition game of the 2018 season, I recorded my initial thoughts with no time to reconsider them.
I’m thrilled that the Steelers defeated the Eagles in their house by a decent margin, but the first time taking the field never tells the true story. Take these in. As always, I welcome you to weigh in.
- Good heads up from Coty Sensabaugh on the pick. Mike Hilton was in the vicinity, but he looked hesitant.
- The Offensive Line doesn’t ever seem to want to block Fletcher Cox.
- That was a huge whiff by Jon Bostic on the long Jay Ajayi run.
- The run defense looks leaky early.
- Bostic had good burst on that four-yard loss and good penetration again on the third and 14.
- James Conner’s footwork and vision looks better than 2017.
- Great awareness by Landry Jones to go deep when Phily jumped offsides.
- Nice, JuJu Smith-Schuster TD! Not afraid to combat catch if he needs to.
- I’m not quite sure how great that pass from Landry was, but you can’t argue with the result.
- Am I too out of touch? I didn’t quite figure out JuJu’s celebration. But as long as they’re celebrating, I can’t complain.
- Javon Hargrave doesn’t get enough credit for how mobile he is for a nose. Sniffing out a screen is not typical of a NT.
- Huguenin is a baller. I’d like to see him get a serious look.
- Early on, Bostic seems to be involved and have a nose for the man with the ball.
- Tackling issues seem to have been corrected.
- Terrell Edmunds looked like he was trying to cover two separate guys on that touchdown reception by Dallas Goedert.
- I would really like to see Quadree Henderson get a chance to return something.
- I am not a fan of the new lowered-head rule.
- The Eagles helped the Steelers out big-time with the two penalties on the drive.
- Cameron Sutton can be big for this team. Nice to see two picks from corners.
- Dashaun Phillips won’t make the 53.
- Tyler Matakevich knows the defense, but I wonder if he’s athletic enough to man the middle.
- Joshua Dobbs looks merely pedestrian to me. I’d like him to play on my pub trivia team though.
- What an athletic catch by Damoun Patterson. He could be this camp’s Marcus Tucker.
- If I was a coach, I would go for two after every touchdown in the preseason.
- Finally...Mason Rudolph in the house.
- Ola even looks like James Harrison out there. No. 92 is real.
- J-Wobble needs to fall on fumbles.
- James Washington is “as advertised”,
- Stevan Ridley looks good. But he’s a veteran playing against future bouncers.
- The rap coming out of camp was that Rudolph couldn hit James Washington on the deep rout every throw. Looks like he’s found quite a rapport with Patterson in the short and medium routes.
- I expected to see more of the Allens, Brian and Marcus. Where are they?
- This game is not typical of Steeler preseason games. It seemed like there were more scoring drives than usual.
- I would have liked to have seen Rudolph do more like throw a TD pass, but I thought he looked decent despite the level of protection and talent surrounding him.
- A win is good. But there’s more work to do.
Now I will analyze the replay of the game and my opinions may alter some. Where am I spot on and way off? I’m sure you’ll let me know.