As Week Two’s bizarre showcase wasn’t too easy, and made those in Steelers Nation queasy, I couldn’t help, once again, to be feeling cautiously optimistic leading up to what I presumed to be the necessary bounce back against Tampa Bay. But then I remembered Fitzmagic could be tragic to a struggling defense, and I started to just down cheeseburgers until the Casey Hamptonesque angel on my shoulder told me that I was embarrassing myself. At this point, I decided to wait until gametime to react and open the window to all of you. So if you want to know how my emotions fluctuated throughout the evening, keep on reading.
Nonetheless, a simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later. I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steeler Nation. Here’s my real-time reactions during the Steelers first time in Tampa in eight years.
- What’s the benefit of having a quick KR like Switzer if the Steelers are going to always get called for a hold on the return?
- No disrespect intended, but I’m not too sure about Jordan Dangerfield anymore.
- I heard that the Steelers were going to water down the defense. They obviously watered down the offense on that first series too.
- Jordan Berry will not be punting for the Steelers next weekend.
- Mike Evans (not the original Lionel Jefferson) was wide open on that drop.
- Thats why I love Joe Haden. Nice breakup.
- Uggh. Is this Road Ben or Bad Elbow Ben?
- The right side of the D-line just got dominated on the Barber run.
- Here we go again. Tight Ends kill the Steelers. It could be another long night.
- Conner needs to get going.
- When Vance McDonald is healthy. Wow!
- That stiff arm was Gronk-like.
- Chris Boswell has no more excuses. Does he suddenly have the kicking version of Steve Blass disease.
- I’m not so sure about how blatant the Bostic hit was.
- Tony Romo is awesome in the booth. Jason Witten is no Romo.
- T.J. Watt looked awful on that attempted tackle.
- It’s falling apart.
- Second penalty on McCullers. Good Gravy!
- Bostic. Nice coverage.
- They have no pass rush. It’s killing them.
- I stand corrected. Nice job, Chick.
- Nice pass play by both Ben and JuJu.
- Ben’s acting lessons are paying off.
- Big Al can’t hold there. Crap.
- Ben and Vance have good chemistry.
- Wow. The hardest hit of the night is the wall on Isaiah Johnson. Hope he’s okay.
- Artie Burns with a solid tackle.
- I hate the defensive posing on turnovers.
- That was all AB. Fantastic.
- No denying that face mask penalty.
- Mike Evans is really, really good.
- Seven penalties already. Lack of discipline will kill them.
- Hes not a Raven anymore, but I still don’t like the Ginga Ninja.
- Grounding anyone? Someone must have been in the area.
- I’m really liking Bostic. Good awareness by Hilton as well.
- I’ll take it, but I’m not a big fan of that JJP roughing penalty on Ben.
- Glad to see stony Dungy honored. In my mind he has two SB rings as a coach. But that’s just me.
- Seriously. I’m roughing the passer in my living room.
- Awesome. Edmunds desperately needed that pick.
- Those O-line reserves are going to get Ben murdered.
- That’s why you keep DHB.
- Yesssssss! Bud needed that play badly. Great job adjusting from the rush to the coverage.
- More like Fitzmanic or Fitztragic.
- Fitzpatrick is even more entertaining than Peyton Manning on the audible.
- Evans is hard to cover. Wow!
- Was that more of a drop or Haden? I think a drop.
- Tony Toe Tap is one of the best sideline receiver ever.
- JuJu with the stiffy as well.
- Great to see Switzer get in. Hated the camera angle. Missed it.
- That’s not a touchdown. Hilton touched him.
- Wow. Evidence and still a reversal. Doesn’t happen often.
- Can’t ever give up a 3rd and 18.
- Bud is having a night.
- Holding a team to three twice in 2018. Who are these guys.
- Too bad. AB was wide open.
- Washington looks to be earning Ben’s trust.
- Seriously. What is wrong with Boz? He can’t become a liability.
- No excuses for Sensabaugh. The rookie schooled the veteran in that score.
- Penn State’s Godwin is a player.
- This team still needs a shutdown corner.
- They are going to blow this game.
- They got lucky on the Desean Jackson return. Really lucky.
- Did they really just let Fitz run for 17 yards?
- I’m losing faith in Artie Burns. But Mike Evans is incredible.
- I’m afraid that Fitzmagic is real.
- Don’t know how they pulled that off.
- Why can’t things ever be nice and easy?
So...now as I replay the game more and more in my head, my perceptions and maybe my prescriptions will alter. But for now, you just got a glimpse of the first thoughts that popped in my mind while I was watching this game. Feel free to get your commentus maximus on in the section below.