The Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2019 season is 14 games old, and they sit at 8-6 heading into a Week 16 matchup with the New York Jets in New Jersey. With only two games remaining on the team’s schedule, we continue to take a look at the AFC Playoff Picture, and what might need to take place for the black-and-gold to get into the postseason.
After a Week 15 loss to the Buffalo Bills, the Steelers still remain the sixth seed and in control of their own destiny heading into Sunday’s game at Metlife Stadium.
Let’s take a look at where things sit heading into Week 16:
1. Baltimore Ravens (12-2) REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Browns (6-8), vs. Steelers (8-6)
2. New England Patriots (11-3) REMAINING OPPONENTS: vs Bills (10-4) vs. Dolphins (3-11)
3. Kansas City Chiefs (10-4) REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Bears (7-7), vs. Chargers (5-9)
4. Houston Texans (9-5) REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Buccaneers (7-7), vs. Titans (8-6)
5. Buffalo Bills (10-4) REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Patriots (11-3), vs. Jets (5-9)
6. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-6) REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Jets (5-9), at Ravens (12-2)
In the hunt:
When you look at these standings you see things starting to take shape for the AFC Playoff Picture. Just take a look at the games which took place in Week 15 that shuffled the playoff order. The Titans lost to the Texans, putting Tennessee behind the 8-ball with two games left. The Bills’ win over the Steelers clinches a playoff spot for Buffalo, and forces the Steelers to win their next two games if they want to continue to control their own postseason destiny.
A lot can change after any given week, and Week 16 will be no different. Take a look at some key games for the upcoming slate of NFL games:
Tennessee vs. New Orleans
Pittsburgh at New York Jets
Houston at Tampa Bay
The good news is the Steelers control their own destiny, and taking care of their own business will leave no doubt whether they deserve a spot in the playoffs. A lot can change in just a couple weeks...
Take a look at the above standings; who do you see failing down the stretch? And which team will be a surprise to climb the rankings? Let us know in the comment section below!