Once again, Knee-jerk Reactions are immediate responses to a situation without taking the time to analyze the situation. That’s something as sports fans that we typically do. Steeler Nation reacted as such with the Round 3 selection of Diontae Johnson from Toledo. As is the custom, I compile my knee jerk thoughts and publish them immediately after each Steelers game. It’s my version of shooting first and apologizing later. So with that being said, I’m going to employ that philosophy here for the draft and follow up yesterday’s Day Two account with my instant Day Three reactions to each Steelers selection.
Steelers picking in Round 4 Pick 122
RB Bennie Snell Jr. - Kentucky
- Was hoping for Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or some help at the safety position. But CGJ is in New Orleans.
- I think they might go RB. I have three guys on my mind Justice Hill, Bryce Love and Bennie Snell Jr.
- There goes Love.
- Hill to Ravens...yuck.
- They could go Foster Moreau at TE.
- Draft party looks like a blast.
- Love the Snell pick. This guy is an absolute load.
- Steelers love legacies.
- 48 rushing TDs in three seasons. Wow!!!!! Sweet pick.
Steelers picking in Round 5 Pick 141
TE Zach Gentry - Michigan
- They could go a number of places here.
- Can still use help at safety.
- Moreau is gone. Need to add a TE.
- Not familiar with this guy. But he’s 6’8”. I love his size.
- He doesn’t seem to be much of a blocker, but Jesse James didn’t seem like one at first either.
- Could be a project or could be a big target for Ben.
- With Moreau gone to the Raiders. This is decent.
Steelers picking in Round 6 Pick 175
EDGE Sutton Smith - Northern Illinois
- They haven’t addressed safety, an offensive lineman, edge rusher or defensive lineman yet. I would think they will do that pretty soon.
- Not familiar with Sutton Smith.
- He’s undersized for a rushing LB, but so was Deebo.
- 233 lbs. He may bulk up.
- You can’t argue with 15 sacks and 26 1/2 tackles for a loss.
- A sixth rounder who racks up sacks. Don’t sneeze at it. Like.
Steelers picking in Round 6 Pick 192
DL Isaiah Buggs - Alabama
- They seem to be addressing all of their needs.
- At this point, there aren’t many familiar names
- I actually know who Buggs is.
- An Alabama DL. Karl Dunbar gets one of his old guys late again.
- Leading stacker on the Crimson Tide. More than Quinnen Williams.
- This is great depth.
Steelers picking in Round 6 Pick 207
LB Ulysses Gilbert III - Akron
- We just drafted the love child of Marcus Gilbert and Ulysses S. Grant.
- I had heard good things about this guy. Like Sutton Smith, he’s going to make his hay on ST.
- He’s going to have to have to battle.
Steelers picking in Round 7 Pick 219
OL Derwin Gray - Maryland
- Depth at lineman.
- Don’t know him. But they do.
- At this point, it’s pure scouting.
There you have it. I’ll review these thoughts and may think more rationally after I’ve had a chance to iron my brain droppings out. Overall, I’m pleased and feel hopelessly optimistic regarding this draft.