After a disappointing end to the inaugural season of the Alliance of American Football, it would be fair to question how much of an appetite football fans will have for the XFL in 2020. Much like the failed AAF, the returning league will feature eight different teams and many well-known coaches in charge of rosters containing several former NFL players.
On Friday, the XFL gave potential viewers and indicator of the sort of talent they could expect to be watching next spring with the first of eight Summer Showcase events they plan to hold in each of the league’s host cities. An invitation-only workout that included former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Landry Jones among other notable names.
XFL Summer Showcase today at Maverick Stadium in Arlington. Some of the notable players expected to participate: Landry Jones, Aaron Ripkowski, Trevone Boykin, Lance Dunbar, Kony Ealy, Christine Michael, Sterling Moore, Ahmad Dixon, Marqueston Huff, Frank Alexander, Ondre Pipkins pic.twitter.com/SDi9fO1nYe— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) June 7, 2019
As per the full list of players in attendance on Friday, Jones was far from the only name with Black and Gold connections going through his paces in Texas, with running back Daryl Richardson, tight end Cameron Clear and defensive backs Dashuan Phillips and Brandon Dixon also among the players taking part.
Here's The full roster for today's Summer Showcase in Dallas... pic.twitter.com/jA8tm31l2Y— XFL To BHAM - Official Page (@XflTo) June 7, 2019
As per the XFL, the showcase event will include:
- Height, weight, and additional measurements for each player
- Light Combine-like athletic testing, including the 40-yard-dash and shuttle drills
- Individual positional workouts and 1-on-1 drills, led by XFL Coaching Staff
- Private, additional workouts with XFL Coaching Staff, as needed
- Provide player interviews and background information, as needed
- Players will receive boxed lunch upon completion of XFL Summer Showcase
The next event will be held in Houston on Saturday and will feature at least one more former Steelers player in wide receiver Demarcus Ayers, most recently seen playing for the San Antonio Commodores of the AAF.
.@WillThrill25, @DAYERS_LOE and @noceilings27 will all be in attendance at tomorrow's @XFLHouston Summer Showcase, where they will go through a series of drills in front of #XFL coaches and scouts. pic.twitter.com/ny6TxLxTCN— XFL (@xfl2020) June 7, 2019
The remaining showcase events on the schedule:
- Houston: June 8th - TDECU Stadium
- New York: June 14th - Sprague Field Carlisle Rd
- Washington DC: June 15th - The St. James Complex
- Los Angeles: June 21st - Veterans Memorial Stadium
- Seattle: June 22nd - Memorial Stadium
- Tampa Bay: June 29th - Raymond James Stadium
- St. Louis: July 13th - Lou Fusz Training Facility