Week 11 of the NFL season and the Pittsburgh Steelers are back out on the road, this time to Jacksonville to take on the Jags. The Steelers are looking more healthy than they’ve been the past few weeks, and what better way to try to get their record to 10-0 than playing the 1-8 Jags. A lot of Steelers Nation will want to see the Steelers get the running game back on track this week, but I am not necessarily one of them, as all I am looking for is 10-0! Ben Roethlisberger is spreading the ball all over the field and the Defense is playing solid football right now. If the Steelers show up ready to get down to business I don’t see any way the Jags can beat them. I mean they are a bunch of Jags, but the Pittsburgh kind of Jags...can you tell I like calling them Jags? Enough about Jags, let's get to the game (like how I snuck that in there one more time?).
A simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion I may not actually be from Pittsburgh, but grew up close enough to be a Yinzer). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ effort to continue the unbeaten streak.
- Steelers win the toss and choose to defer. Boswell to kick off.
- Well the defense isn't going to hold them to zero first downs on third downs this week as the Jaguars convert the third down on their first opportunity.
- Jacksonville was not so fortunate on their second third down opportunity.
- Field goal attempt for the Jaguars. Kick is good Jags 3, Steelers 0.
- I had a feeling Jacksonville was going to try that onside kick. Apparently the Steelers were ready for it as well. Marcus Allen did a nice job taking that ball out of the air.
- Ben had another ball tipped at the line of scrimmage. There have been so many of those this year.
- Diontae Johnson misses an easy third down pass from Ben. Diontae has had a lot of balls this year that he should have caught that have hit the ground.
- Boswell on for a 46-yard field goal attempt. Pulled it left. Makes that drop by Diontae even tougher to swallow.
- The defense forced three straight incompletions, forcing a fourth down punt from Jacksonville.
- James Conner with a big run of about 25 yards there. Nice job getting the offense out of a hole.
- Easy pitch and catch from Roethlisberger to Chase Claypool on 3rd and 6th. I like seeing those easy completions.
- Until Ben is willing to go play action when when he lines up under center, we will always struggle to run out of that formation.
- Third down pass broken up, but even if complete Ebron was going to be way short of a first down. Steelers to punt.
- Bud Dupree almost picked off that pass. It might have gone for a touchdown. But at least the defense holds to a three and out.
- End of the first quarter, jaguars 3, Steelers 0.
- Somehow Conner turned what looked to be lost into gaining 2 to 3 yards.
- Steelers drive stalls Boswell on to attempt a field goal. Field goal is good. Steelers 3, Jaguars 3.
- Kyle was throwing a fit over holding on T.J. Watt during that third down pass, but it was tipped and almost picked off by the Steelers. Defense holds to another three and out.
- Grandpa strong James Washington makes a sideline catch on third and five to keep this drive going.
- Chase Claypool catches the long pass from Ben Roethlisberger for a touchdown! Steelers now lead 10-3.
- After the Steelers defense knocking them back 5 yards on first down, we give up a big run on second down and then Steven Nelson picks up a 15-yard penalty on top of it. Not a great start.
- Jaguars were down near the 10-yard line, pass was deflected high by Tyson Alualu, Minkah picks it off and returns it near the 40. Game changer.
- James Conner with a Marcus Allen type reversal run for a first down there. That’s the Hall of Fame running back Marcus Allen, not the Steelers LB/S Marcus Allen.
- Steelers are now faced with a 3rd and 10 just inside of 2 minutes. if there's a time for a 10-plus yard play Steelers need it here.
- Ben to Diontae again, and got that 10 plus yards. Steelers can use some more points here.
- Wow, talk about a circus catch. Diontae came up big there to set the Steelers up inside the one.
- Benny Snell football for the touchdown. Steelers now lead 17-3.
- Well, Brian Anthony Davis said that Terrell Edmunds would drop a potential interception, but Terrell just proved him wrong by actually getting his hands on it and completing the INT.
- Claypool draws the deep interference call. Steelers are going to get one shot at the end zone, and then would have to kick the field goal.
- Ben makes a poor choice, throws a wounded duck into the endzone and instead of getting at least three, the ball's picked off by the Jaguars.
- End of the first half. Steelers 17, Jags 3. Steelers will receive the second half kickoff.
- Touch pass to Ray-Ray McCloud to start the second half loses two yards.
- Steelers have third and 11 and try that high lob again towards James Washington. Why don't they just try to get a first down instead of throwing these jump balls?
- Kyle says going three and out to start the second half makes not getting those points at the end of the first half even worse.
- The defense is giving up a drive, and now Joe Haden is down on the ground, maybe looking at his knee. Not good!
- It took to the third quarter, but Stephon Tuitt busts through and gets a sack for the Steelers on 3rd and 14. The sack streak continues!
- A little bit of movement by the Steelers offense, but drive stalls, Jordan Berry with the punt.
- Thankful to see that Joe Haden is back in the ballgame.
- Kyle "What the heck Ray-Ray. You had so much space" to the fair catch call.
- Steelers with a 4th and 1, fake the Jets sweep to Claypool and Conner runs for nice yardage. That's what I like to see to keep drives and moving.
- A zero yard run, a five yard penalty, and a two yard pass leaves the offense with 3rd and 13. Incomplete pass leads to another Jordan Berry punt. This has been a rather boring third quarter for both sides.
- Wow. Could they have thrown the flag any later on that play by Edmunds?
- End of the third quarter score remains the same Steelers 17, Jaguars 3.
- Bud Dupree with a sack on 3rd and 10. Steelers will get the ball back.
- Steelers convert a third and one with a pass to Ebron. what we really need to see here is a sustained drive that ends in points.
- Two straight incomplete passes and the Steelers look at third and ten again. This is not sustaining drives, this is goofing around and allowing Jacksonville to stay at least a little bit in this game.
- Steelers go with the high lob on third and long again. Steelers get a slightly controversial pass interference call on that play to keep the drive going.
- Third down and two and they throw a quick pass to Connor three yards behind the line of scrimmage and they lose two yards on the play. Boswell in to try a field goal from 47 yards. GOOD! Steelers 20, Jaguars 3.
- Terrell Edmonds making Brian Anthony Davis eat his words as he comes up with his second interception of the game.
- Ray-Ray makes a nice third down catch, tackle on extra 15 for a helmet hit.
- I've been saying it all game, and the Steelers finally did it. Been lined up under center fake to hand off and hits Ebron on a skinny post for a touchdown.
- Steelers 27, Jaguars 3. Kyle says it's now time for Rudolph to have some fun.
- Minkah Fitzpatrick with his second interception of the game. Big day for the Steelers safeties.
- Rudolph comes in and hands it off three times to Benny Snell, for a total of nine yards. With a 27 to 3 lead I guess I can't blame them for that.
- Steelers put in the second string defense, and they hold and force a turnover on downs. Two minute warning.
- Steelers going victory formation, Kyle was glad to see the Jags weren't a bunch of Jags and start using their timeouts.
- Three, two, one, win! 10-0!!! Two games in a row where I didn't have a heart attack. I know it's coming up on Thanksgiving but it almost feels like Christmas. Bring on the purple team from Baltimore.
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me (and Kyle), you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle does). Now time to process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward a short week and the the Baltimore Ravens on Thanksgiving night. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.