Week 14 of the NFL season and the Pittsburgh Steelers travel to Buffalo for a Sunday night matchup against the Bills. I was unfortunate enough to be in attendance at last year’s Sunday night matchup in Pittsburgh where the Bills came in and started the Steelers on a downward slide. I think it’s the Steelers turn to return the favor. Sure the Steelers will be down their top three inside linebackers, but they do get Pouncey, Nelson and Boswell back (the first two having missed the last two games). I think the game will come down to scheme and execution for the Steelers. Keith Butler will have to get creative with the defense, and Randy Fichtner needs to get more diverse in the offensive calls. My biggest comfort in this game is having Chris Boswell back bringing more confidence in the kicking game, especially longer field goals. Am I worried about the Steelers right now like a lot of other Steelers fans? A little bit, but I also have faith in the organization and players to circle the wagons better than the Bills and do enough to win this ballgame and more. Let’s get to the game!
A simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion I may not actually be from Pittsburgh, but grew up close enough to be a Yinzer). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ effort to continue the unbeaten streak.
- The Bills won the coin toss and defer to the second half. Ray-Ray returns it from deep in the end zone and only makes it out to the 10. Not the start you'd like to see.
- Hey, look at that first play of the game for the Steelers. Diontae Johnson drops the ball.
- 3rd and 5 for the Steelers and Ben almost threw an interception. A wonderful three and out to start on offense. Steelers to punt.
- The defense comes out and looks solid for the Steelers. Holds the Bills to a three and out of their own.
- Diontae catches one and turns it into a first down.
- Hand the ball off to James Conner for the first time tonight and he loses a yard.
- Diontae Johnson drops another pass on third down. I think it's time we see James Washington and some Grandpa strong.
- Marcus Allen got to start at linebacker and did a nice job in coverage, but on the next play Avery Williamson was exposed in coverage.
- Mike Hilton comes up with an interception of Josh Allen. The previous play Alex Highsmith almost had a sack. The defense has shown up tonight.
- Diontae Johnson starts this series on the bench and James Washington was in his place.
- On 3rd and 4 Ben has his pass deflected at the line of scrimmage up in the air luckily it fell in complete. Steelers to punt.
- The defense holds to a three and out again. Not a whole lot of offense yet for either team in this game.
- 3rd and 6th for the Steelers and Ben gets a nice completion to JuJu.
- Suddenly out of nowhere the Steelers hand the ball off twice in a row, but not to James Conner, but Jaylen Samuels.
- Ben's third down pass goes deep towards James Washington, but well overthrown.
- On second and 10 Buffalo tries to run a screen, and they lose a yard.
- End of the first quarter. Steelers 0, Bill 0.
- Cam Sutton almost had a sack on 3rd and 11, and on second look it looked like it was potentially knocked and fumbled but there was no challenge.
- A nice run by Benny Snell followed by a nice catch and run by JuJu. Steelers approaching midfield.
- Third and three Ben passes to Ebron, who, believe it or not, proceeds to drop it.
- Cam Sutton picks up an interception on a bobbled and knocked around football. Steelers in business.
- James Conner fumbles the ball on the very next play, but thankfully JuJu was there to recover.
- Touchdown James Washington. Now that's grandpa strong. Steeler 7, Bills 0.
- Sack fumble, Bills recover, but Tyson Alualu gets credit for the sack. New record.
- The Steelers hold the Bills on third down and 18, nice to see as we typically give up one of those every game. Steelers get the ball back.
- And the Steelers offense goes three and out again.
- Jordan Dangerfield hits the guy in the air with his shoulder but doesn't wrap up and he lands and runs for 20 more yards.
- Every time a flag comes out the referee crew gets together for a conference. After that long conference who was surprised that the Steelers get screwed on that call.
- The defense keeps the Bills out of the end zone, but they are successful on the field goal try. Steelers 7, Bills 3.
- Ben threw a second pass in a row that had no zip on it that got picked off and returned for a touchdown The Steelers are now going to go into the half behind. The extra point was missed. Steelers 7, Bills 9.
- That's the half. Steelers 7, Bills 9. Still not real thrilled with the offensive play.
- Bills are putting together a nice drive. Apparently nobody from the Steelers wants to guard Stefon Diggs.
- Steven Nelson slips down on the play to leave Stefon Diggs wide open again for a touchdown. Steelers 7, Bills 16.
- Ben gets sacked for the first time since Week 8. The offense goes three and out to give the defense no rest.
- Berry gets a short punt and a big return, but there might be a penalty. Thankfully there was an illegal block in the back.
- The offense has got to get something figured out. They look the same tonight as they have the past several weeks. All the plays are the same nothing has changed.
- Again Stefon Diggs is left wide open for a 20-plus yard game. Maybe they should try covering that guy.
- And they leave a wide receiver wide open in the end zone for a touchdown. This game is getting away from the Steelers really quick. The defense has given up two drives, and the offense has run three plays. Steelers 7, Bills 23.
- Ben's third down pass on that drive was closer to being completed to a Bill's player than a Steeler. And the offense goes three and out again. The Steelers now look like the Steelers of 2019, relying totally on the defense and hoping the offense can do anything.
- You know it's easy to block T.J. Watt when they let the right tackle move early before every play.
- And now Alex Highsmith is limping off the field. The Steelers aren't going to have anybody left the way this is going.
- The defense finally gets a stop in the second half. Steelers to get the ball back.
- The offense has picked up a couple of first downs, but the third quarter has come to an end with the Steelers trailing the Bills 23-7.
- Juju Smith-Schuster catches the touchdown. Steelers are now going to go for the two-point conversion. Ebron makes the catch, Steelers 15, Bills 23.
- The defense has struggled to get off the field in the second half. The Bills have a drive going and are already into Steelers territory.
- Pass interference call on the Steelers puts the ball down near the goal line. It just isn't looking real good.
- Bills kick a field goal. Steelers 15, Bills 26.
- On third down and four Ben throws long for James Washington and the ball is picked off. You can stick a fork in this game it's over.
- If it wasn't for the fact that I have to finish this article, I would be turning the game off and heading to bed right now.
- The defense gives up a third and 11 converted for a first down. This has just gotten ugly all around.
- As much as I hate to say it, the offensive performance the past several weeks, having been the same for several weeks, now has me panicking.
- I'm trying to find a silver lining for this game, and it just isn't there. The scheme for the offense I would have to say is like a fart in a skillet, it just stinks. Take that Randy Fichtner,
- Three, two, one, loosing back to back games sucks.
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me (and Kyle), you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle does). Now time to process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we are prepare for a Monday Night matchup with the Bengals. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.