Week 13 of the NFL season and the Pittsburgh Steelers feel like they just finished week 12...of wait, they did! In a quick turnaround the Steelers play host to the Washington Football Team. A lot of people might see this as a week the Steelers slip up, after playing the Ravens last week and an important showdown with Buffalo next week. Luckily for the Steelers they defeated the Ravens last week, but did not perform very well overall, which is just what Coach Tomlin likely seized on this week to make sure his team is ready for Washington. The Football Team (really, this is the dumbest name I have ever heard) is a young and improving squad, and their defense is turning into the strength of this team. I also have to look at what the Football Team has done, beating the Cowboys twice, Eagles and Cincinnati. Okay that’s solid, but they have also lost to the Giants twice, the Lions as well as the Browns and Ravens. This just goes to show me that they are a young but dangerous team. Do I think they will come to Pittsburgh and defeat the Steelers? No, but what I think doesn’t matter, as they actually have to play the game. Speaking of playing the game, let’s get to it!
A simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion I may not actually be from Pittsburgh, but grew up close enough to be a Yinzer). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ effort to continue the unbeaten streak.
- Washington won the toss and deferred. Steelers received the kickoff.
- Steelers start with one of those long lobs down the sideline that was thrown clear out of bounds. They should start better than that.
- Steelers face their first third down. Throws to Ebron 2 yards from the line of scrimmage, and he can't pick up the first down. Steelers to punt. Talk about an uninspiring start.
- The Football Team on their first play gets 12 yards and a first down. My heart's going crazy already.
- On 3rd down to 9 the defense holds to a yard and a half shy of the first down. Steelers will get the ball back.
- Kyle: " These commentators have proven themselves to be idiots and we're not even 5 minutes into the game."
- On first down Benny Snell runs for zero yards, on second down we throw three yards behind the line of scrimmage to JuJu to end up with no gain. Now looking at a third and ten. Make that third and 15 after a false start penalty.
- And JuJu drops the third down pass. Steelers to punt, this looks pathetic.
- Pittsburgh ties the NFL record for most consecutive games with a sack as Robert Spillane comes up the middle and hits Alex Smith.
- Steelers defense holds Washington to punt again as well. Okay forget about that as Marcus Allen runs into the kicker for a personal foul and a Washington first down.
- Very nice plays back-to-back by Cameron Sutton and Mike Hilton. At least that penalty didn't hurt more. Washington to punt again. WFT helped the Steelers out on the punt by a holding call.
- Ben throws intermediate right up the seem to Washington. 30 yard gain looks nice.
- Steelers keep running routes and making throws that are out of bounds. That does zero good. Steelers now have to punt. Grrrrr!
- Was that the WFT on offense or the Pittsburgh Steelers as the Football Team dropped back-to-back passes.
- Steelers got very lucky on that punt. Sean Davis bailed them out big time.
- End of the first quarter, Steelers just enter the Football Team’s territory. Score tied at zero.
- Oh look at that Diontae Johnson dropped the ball.
- Diontae makes up for the drop by making the catch on 3rd and 12th for 17 yards.
- On 3rd and 5 Ben throws a little floater to Ebron. Good thing he's a big, tall guy.
- Well, it looked like a touchdown to Diontae, but Big Al was down field illegally.
- Claypool with a contested catch earns a first down inside the five.
- Diontae actually gets the touchdown this time. Steelers finally on the board.
- New kicker Matthew Wright, puts the PAT right down the middle. Steeler 7, WFT 0.
- Defense has Washington a third and 13. Washington comes up a yard short but is going for it deep in their own territory and do not make it.
- Chase Claypool climbs a ladder for a 30-yard reception to set the Steelers up first and goal.
- 3rd and goal on the one and the Steelers tried to slip a little pass out to Jerald Hawkins. It looks like his feet got stuck in cement and he fell as the ball got there.
- Steelers going for it on 4th and goal, and Benny Snell got stuffed. The run game absolutely sucks!
- Steelers hold to a three-and-out, Washington to punt from their own end zone.
- Grandpa Strong!!!!!! 50 yard touchdown! Steelers 14, WFT 0.
- Mike Hilton has shown up to ball out tonight.
- Survived the scare of Minkah Fitzpatrick being down on the field for a couple minutes.
- Steelers go three and out, Washington gets the ball back with 50 seconds to play in the second quarter.
- Not liking what the defense is giving up here at the end of the half. Probably going to end up giving away some points.
- Tuitt!!! Back to back sacks!
- Washington just pulled a Wang Harbs moved with not getting the kicking ball in time so that the referees would stop the clock. That should have been a delay of game penalty on Alex Smith.
- Washington Football Team hits the field goal. Steelers 14, WFT 3.
- Washington gets the ball to start the third quarter, and they don't make it back to the 20.
- The defense gets him to 3rd and 16, and gives up a big play because Hilton missed the tackle and they get the first down.
- Washington really driving the football. The defense just can't get off the field for the Steelers.
- I thought Cam Sutton was going to have an interception but instead Washington completes it down to the one yard line.
- Steelers looked like they were going to get a stop on 4th and goal but a hold was called on T.J. Watt. Washington with another first and goal starting at the one and they score the touchdown on first down. Steelers 14, WFT 10.
- Drop by Ebron an 2nd and 9.
- Steelers end up with a third and 13, and, yes, Diontae drops the ball. But they only threw it four yards past the line of scrimmage and he had four guys around him.
- Defense was getting after Alex Smith on that possession, defense holds to get the ball back.
- Another drop by Ebron! This is rediculous!
- Diontae converts the 3rd and 14.
- Now Diontae drops one!!! CATCH THE BALL!
- End of the third period. Steelers 14, WFT 10.
- First play of the fourth quarter is a field goal by Matthew Wright. Steelers 17, WFT 10.
- Defense forces a 3 and out. Steelers get the ball back.
- 3rd and 10 and the Steelers do a delayed handoff to Benny Snell that loses 4 yards. CHISAP for offensive coordinator. Steelers punting from their own end zone.
- Third down and one and Washington converts. Joe Haden is now down.
- The Steelers might want to think about covering a running backs in the passing game.
- The defense left people wide open for that whole drive. Touchdown for Washington and they are about to tie this game. Steelers 17, WFT 17.
- JuJu picks up the first down.
- Steelers end up with a fourth and one and go for it. McFarland was open, he just didn't make the connection.
- Washington continues to gain yards by hitting the running backs in the passing game.
- It's third and four. If the defense ever needed to stop it's now.
- They complete deep on the outside. The Steelers are not going to win this game.
- Washington kicks a field goal to take the lead. Steelers 17, WFT 20.
- Pass was tipped and picked off by Washington, game over.
- The Steelers did not deserve to win this game. Too many drop passes again and I was not particularly fond of the play calling.
- Another Washington field goal. Steelers 17, WFT 23.
- Three, two, one, I blame this loss on Wang Harbs.
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me (and Kyle), you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle does). Now time to process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we are prepare for a Sunday Night game with the Buffalo Bills to finish a stretch of 3 games in 12 days. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.