clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Steelers News: Why it’s time for the Steelers and James Harrison to mutually part ways

New, comments

Time to check on the latest news surrounding the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Divisional Round - Pittsburgh Steelers v Kansas City Chiefs Photo by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

The Pittsburgh Steelers 2020 NFL Draft is officially over. After finishing last year 8-8, the Steelers, and their vast fan base, have another long offseason awaiting them. Just because the games are done doesn’t mean we stop providing you with features, commentary and opinions to tide you over throughout the offseason!

Today in the black-and-gold links article we take a look at how it is time for the Steelers and ex-OLB James Harrison to just call it a break up.

Let’s get to the news:

  • James Harrison likes to talk, and it might be time for the Steelers to just put an end to their relationship with the former Defensive Player of the Year.

Mark Madden: Time for Steelers to cut ties with James Harrison

By: Mark Madden, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

James Harrison went too far…again. He threw Mike Tomlin and the Steelers logo under the bus…again.

It’s time for the Steelers to excommunicate Harrison. Make him persona non grata. Harrison should never again be welcome at Heinz Field.

When Harrison said Tomlin “handed me an envelope” after Harrison got fined $75,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit in 2010, he put the Steelers in the path of an NFL investigation. (The complaining of Sean Payton in New Orleans will see to that. No coach, team or city whines more, or better.)

Harrison is lying, or a snitch. Either is indefensible. (Bet that he’s lying. Even Harrison’s agent, Bill Parise, denied it: “Absolutely not. Never happened.” And it would take an awful big envelope to hold $75K.)

To read the full article, click HERE (Free)


  • The Steelers will be re-opening their facilities, not to coaches and players, on Tuesday.

Steelers to join other NFL clubs in reopening team facilities Tuesday

By: Joe Rutter, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

With NFL commissioner Roger Goodell giving teams permission to reopen their facilities Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers plan to take advantage.

“We will begin the process of opening our facilities on Tuesday, May 19, with a limited number of staff being permitted in our buildings,” Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said in a statement Friday night. “Health and safety of our employees will continue to be our priority as we phase up to the fully allowed staff level.”

NFL facilities have been shuttered to team personnel since March 25 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. The Steelers offices are at UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on the South Side, which houses the team’s practice and training facility. Some employees work out of Heinz Field and North Shore Place on the North Side.

In a memo sent to the 32 teams Friday, Goodell said facilities could be opened as long as “governing state and local regulations, are in compliance with additional public health requirements in their jurisdiction, and have implemented protocols,” developed by NFL chief medical officer Dr. Allen Sills.

To read the full article, click HERE (Free)


  • Sean Payton doesn’t see the Steelers being investigated for James Harrison’s comments.

Payton calls Bountygate a ‘sham,’ would be ‘shocked’ if Tomlin is punished

By: Hunter Homistek, DKPittsburghSports

Saints head coach Sean Payton heard all about the James Harrison “envelope story,” in which Harrison claims Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin handed him “an envelope” after he was fined $75,000 by the NFL for an illegal hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010.

Problem with that story is this: It’s completely illegal for coaches or teams to pay players’ fines or to otherwise give them money with a wink and a nudge for any purpose.

Payton knows this scenario well, as he was suspended for the entirety of the 2012 season for his role in “Bountygate,” a system the Saints had established from 2009 – 2011 which rewarded players for big hits and/or knocking opponents out of the game. Most notably, Saints defensive coordinator at the time, Gregg Williams, claimed linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered a $10,000 incentive to any teammate who could knock Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.

The Saints won that game and the Super Bowl that year, but Favre did indeed take a few questionable hits from the Saints, calling it one of the most violent games he’d ever played.

To read the full article, click HERE (Free)


  • BTSC articles you may have missed...

Should the Steelers trade for Josh Rosen?

The James Harrison incident is everything you thought it would be

An inside look at Donnie Shell’s Hall of Fame gear

Mike Tomlin still not keen on a running back by committee approach

The NFL is slowly coming back!


  • Social Media Madness