BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- Good news as the Steelers won again finally since the opener against Buffalo nearly a month earlier. The entire team seemed to make strides in the victory and Najee Harris performed his first 100-yard rushing game. However, the Steelers suffered the loss of JuJu Smith-Schuster in the game. So, there’s some bittersweet-ness involved. It’s like finding out you get unlimited Beef ‘N Cheddars for the rest of the year, but no Arby’s Sauce.
Steelers snap losing streak, beat Broncos 27-19. https://t.co/OiKU7TzT3h— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) October 10, 2021
- So JuJu was confirmed to need shoulder surgery and (even though sources disputed each other on the fine details) lost for the season.
- So the Jacksonville Jaguars got burned by the Burgh again. All set to sign Anthony Miller, the Jags suffered deja vu from earlier in the year when Tyson Alualu decided not to go through with his verbal agreement to sign with the moribund franchise. This time around, Anthony Miller accepted an invitation to Pittsburgh for a workout due to the pending vacancy created by the JuJu injury, despite exclaiming “Duval” on social media. It seemed Insta-official when the former second rounder of the Bears posted only a black and gold set of hearts on the social media website. In related news, my 12-year old daughter posted those same two hearts on Instagram. So either she’s signing with the Steelers as well or she’s expressing her crush for John B. from Outer Banks.
Anthony Miller (@AnthonyMiller_3) just posted this on IG. Following JuJu’s injury, Miller is set to visit the team and take a physical. All things go well and we will have an addition to the WR room. #HereWeGo pic.twitter.com/I6dr4YQKXm— Around The 412 (@AroundThe412) October 11, 2021
- I’m usually wrong when it comes to a lot of things, but I’ve well-documented my disdain for Jon Gruden over the years. I hate being right here, I hate that there’s so much hate in the world and Gruden’s discovered emails further confirm this disgusting truth.
Source: Jon Gruden just informed his staff that he plans to resign as #Raiders coach.— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) October 12, 2021
- Practice squad players, CB Mark Gilbert and OL Rashaad Coward, were poached from the Steelers Practice Squad by the Detroit Lions and Jacksonville Jaguars respectively. Losing Gilbert stinks, but I guess the local kid wasn’t ready for Prime Time. As for Coward, Duvall... looks like we’re even.
- The Anthony Miller signing is official. Eli Ankou, we hardly knew you.
We have released NT Eli Ankou from the practice squad and signed WR Anthony Miller and DT Isaiah Mack to the practice squad.— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) October 12, 2021
- The Steelers signed former Miami and Seattle CB Linden Stephens to the PS. What’s this , like 17 corners now in the organization. I have less packets in my emergency condiment drawer than it seems like Pittsburgh has defensive backs.
- Sean Davis is employed again, this time with the Evil Empire up North after signing on to the Patriots’ Practice Squad. Don’t worry, the former second rounder from Maryland will probably end up back in black and gold again.
The #Patriots signed DB Sean Davis to their practice squad, source said. The former 2nd round pick for the #Steelers worked out yesterday in New England.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 13, 2021
- A most-encouraging injury report for the Steelers will be even more favorable on Friday with Chase Claypool and James Washington seemingly ready to go. But the Ahkello Witherspoon situation is ponderous. That experiment may be ending soon. Getting the “DNP-Coaches Decision” designation is damning. I don’t really know what’s going on with the recent arrival via trade for the Steelers, but I’m having flashbacks from when I was issued a similar designation from the starter wife... DNP/WSWOD-Wife’s Decision in 2003. That stands for “Did Not Participate/Wife Sleeping With Other Dudes”.
James Washington (groin) and Chase Claypool (hamstring) both limited again today.— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 14, 2021
Interesting addition is Ahkello Witherspoon not practicing with a coaches decision designation. He hasn’t been active much since the Steelers traded for him earlier this season. pic.twitter.com/XpmRy94scp
- Seattle QB Russell Wilson and RB Chris Carson have been ruled out for the Sunday Night Football contest against the Steelers. Don’t get too comfortable Steelers. If you don’t remember, BTSC’s Geoffrey Benedict reminded us with this second degree murderers row of backup QBs that stunned the Steelers this decade.
Matt Cassel Vikings 2013
Mike Glennon Bucs 2014
Michael Vick Jets 2014
Ryan Mallett Ravens 2015
Mike Glennon Bears 2017
RGIII Ravens 2019
Ryan Finley Bengals 2020
- Jerry O is a class guy and a long-time member as a player and coach for the Steelers. If I can speak for BTSC and Steelers Nation, our hearts ache for the Olsavsky family. Rest in Peace, Rayme.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.
If you want to take a deeper dive into this, join BTSC for the Have A BAD Week podcast on the player below.