Each game that the Steelers take the field, it’s about winning and not losing. That doesn’t always occur, but with the goal always being the playoffs... the other games become about seeding and matchups. With the Steelers needing to take care of business against the Browns, other contests still matter to Steelers Nation and we assume the Steelers will keep winning more for the sake of this exercise. Here’s a guide to other significant matchups, and whose losses the Steelers would benefit from more.
Here are the current AFC playoff picture going into Week 8
- Cincinnati Bengals 5-2 (Last Week: No. 4) Would clinch a First Round Bye
- Las Vegas Raiders 5-2 (Last Week: No. 6) Would win the AFC West and host the Cleveland Browns
- Tennessee Titans 5-2 (Last Week: No. 3) Would win the AFC South and host the L.A. Chargers
- Buffalo Bills 4-2 (Last Week: No. 4) Would win the AFC East and host the Baltimore Ravens
- Baltimore Ravens 5-2 (Last Week: No. 1) Would clinch Wildcard No. 1 and visit the Buffalo Bills
- Los Angeles Chargers 4-2 (Last Week: No. 2) Would clinch Wildcard No. 2 and visit the Tennessee Titans
- Cleveland Browns 4-3 (Last Week: No. 10) Would clinch Wildcard No. 3 and visit the Las Vegas Raiders
- Pittsburgh Steelers 3-3 (Last Week: No. 7)
- New England Patriots 3-4 (Last Week: No. 11)
- Indianapolis Colts 3-4 (Last Week: No. 12)
- Kansas City Chiefs 3-4 (Last Week: No. 9)
- Denver Broncos 3-4 (Last Week: No. 8)
- New York Jets 1-5 (Last Week: No. 13)
- Jacksonville Jaguars 1-5 (Last Week: No. 14)
- Miami Dolphins 1-6 (Last Week: No. 15)
- Houston Texans 1-6 (Last Week: No. 16)
Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills - Sunday 1 PM (CBS)
Even though the Bills seem like a lock to win their division already, The Steelers on a tiebreaker over Buffalo and a win this week by the Men of Steel would put them ahead of the Bills in the standings. Plus, the game is in Orchard Park. Any chance I get to see a somber Bills Mafia member, I am elated.
Who to root for: Miami Dolphins
Los Angeles Rams at Houston Texans - Sunday 1 PM (FOX)
Oh the Texans! What a mess that has been made here. I feel sorry for this team and root for them, but a win puts Houston closer in the standings. The Rooting Guide speaks and I am powerless to defy it.
Who to root for: Los Angeles Rams
Tennessee Titans at Indianapolis Colts - Sunday 1 PM (CBS)
This is a really interesting conundrum for the Rooting Guide. Do you root for Tennessee to run away with the South or the Colts to make it interesting. If you root for the Colts, it muddies the waters more. So, eliminate one and worry about seeding later.
Who to root for: Tennessee Titans
Cincinnati Bengals at New York Jets - Sunday 1 PM (CBS)
Last week the RG insisted to root for the Bengals in Baltimore, but how quickly the tables have turned. Cincy, at 4-2, is unbelievably atop the AFC in the standings. So, here we go. If the “Tiger Kings” played the Ravens this week again, it could go a different way. But due to a head-to-head loss, the Steelers need wins coupled with a reprisal of days of bungling football past in the Queen City. The Jets aren’t really great candidates to help, but let’s hope the blind squirrels are sniffing hard for a pack of Planters.
Who to root for: New York Jets
New England Patriots at Los Angeles Chargers - Sunday 4:05 PM (CBS)
This is a curious game here. The proposition of either the Pats or the Bolts losing could be advantageous for our hypocycloid-logo sporting heroes. But, as much as you abhor the standard-bearer of the hoodie, a Chargers loss may help the Steelers more this week.
Who to root for: New England Patriots
Jacksonville Jaguars at Seattle Seahawks - Sunday 4:05 PM (CBS)
The Jacksonville Jags are of no consequence to the Steelers or anybody in the AFC this season. But their coach is the epitome of a jag and they are an AFC franchise playing an NFC foe. So let the dudes from Duval slip further down the ladder to the underworld.
Who to root for: Seattle Seahawks
Washington Football Team at Denver Broncos - Sunday 4:25 PM (FOX)
Even though it seems like the Denver Broncos are falling back to earth after their 3-0 start and the fact that the Steelers have a win over said Denver Broncos. So you would have to be Mile High to root for the Broncs this week.
Who to root for: The Team
New York Giants at Kansas City Chiefs - Monday 8:15 PM (ESPN)
This might be a “get-right” game for the Chiefs. Nobody wants them “right”. To me they are like Jason or Michael Myers. Just when you think that you’ve killed them off, they are back wreaking more havoc.
Who to root for: New York Giants
Who do you like in these games for yinzer’s sake? Let us know in the comment section in this article or on BTSC social media. If you want more explanation to these picks check out the new Rooting Guide podcast below: