After an eventful seven days last week in Pittsburgh, the current week had some goings-on as well. With so much going on with the Steelers, BTSC continues their recap of those events for our readers. But where they went wrong, was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- The signing of Bears offensive lineman Rashaad Coward was made official. It may be the first time that player news leaked out during the playing of a video game. When Coward’s wife was playing Call of Duty online on Saturday, the excitement from a phone call to Coward regarding the deal was overheard. I wonder if a person enlisting in the military ever was overheard celebrating over a game of Madden.
- Much to the delight of BTSC co-editor Jeff Hartman (is there a sarcasm font), Jordan Berry is returning to Pittsburgh for another season after signing a one-year deal to stay in a black and gold uniform.
- Former Steeler and current Brown Ryan Switzer took to social media one more time announcing that his son Christian was out of surgery and that “the nightmare is over”. After being operated on in Boston, the nine-month old us expected a full recovery.
- The Steelers sent running backs coach Eddie Faulkner to North Carolina’s Pro Day to scout both Javonte Williams and Michael Carter. Both are considered top prospects. I’m hoping that the black and gold took a good look at linebacker Chazz Surratt as well.
- I decided to make home-made Chex Mix. That didn’t work out quite well. Looks like it’s back to Sam’s Club to feed my snack mix addiction.
- The NFL made a 17-game season official. The Steelers will play Seattle, the winner of the NFC West, at home this Autumn. To extend his record of never having a losing season, Mike Tomlin has to win more than eight games now. There won’t be a .500 team in 2021
- A few BTSC contributors were crushed to learn that the Chiefs signed Austin Blythe. The center from the Rams pretty much depletes the free agent pool at the position. This now makes Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey the target of many of Steeler Nation’s affection.
- My wife started us binge watching the original NCIS and the Love Boat simultaneously. Gotta love both Gibbs and Captain Stubing. There was a mention of the Pittsburgh Steelers on the Live Boat, so it gets instant credibility. Interesting fact about Gibbs on NCIS. He was a starting quarterback for UCLA in the 1970s. Who was a Steelers QB that played for the Bruins?
- The NFL announced 12 possible new rules to be voted on by the Competition Committee. Is it any surprise that a majority of them were suggested by the Baltimore Ravens. I was shocked that they didn’t suggest the banning of passing and propose mulligans for teams wearing black and purple.
- The Steelers signed two more players on this day, LB Jarvis Miller and WR Matthew Sexton. Miller spent time at both Penn State and UMass. Sexton from Eastern Michigan ran a 4.3 at a pro day.
- Went to the dentist for the first time in three years for a cleaning. Not a good idea to wait that long. I’ve had prostate exams that were less intrusive.
- The signing of Tyson Alualu was officially announced by the Steelers.
- Free Agent Karl Joseph visited the Steelers facility on Thursday, but left without a contract. The Browns safety is coveted by Steeler Nation, but it looks like it won’t happen.
- Another player that Steelers fans hoped their team would sign, L.J. Fort, was resigned by the Ravens.
- For the second offseason in a row, the Steelers lost Sean Davis via free agency. Davis is now a Colt. Fingers are crossed that the safety receives more than $2 million. If so, the Steelers would be eligible for a comp pick. It’s not likely though.
- The Pirates actually won their opener. Now 1-161 is the worst that they can do. Yahoo!
- Tulsa inside linebacker Zaven Collins looked good at his Pro Day. He is another possibility for the first round pick for the Steelers.
- I made it through another Lenten season without eating meat on Fridays. The days of a steak or a rack of ribs at 12:01 Saturday mornings are done for another year.
- The Penguins had their win streak of five games snapped at five by losing to the Bruins. Here’s hoping that they start another.
- No excitement for the Steelers on Saturday like last week. I had a fairly uneventful week as well. I guess we can’t re-sign Tyson Alualu every Saturday.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my binge watching and black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steeler happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.