BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- Pro Football Focus released their projections of the starting lineups for all 32 teams in the National Football League. The starters for the Steelers include some major surprises that include rookie Kendrick Green at center and 2020 UDFA James Pierre on the outside right corner. I’m projecting that I’m going to eat at Arby’s every day this week and buy a set of jet skis. But like Mike Tomlin for the Steelers, the decisions in my house are made by Mrs. BAD and unlimited Beef and Cheddars and the elation of water recreation isn’t going to be on her agenda for me.
- Steelers insider Mark Kaboly said on 93.7 The Fan that undrafted corner Shakur Brown played 100% of the snaps at slot corner during the Steelers’ rookie mini camp last weekend. There’s a lot of excitement surrounding the Michigan State Spartan who was projected as a fifth-rounder in 2021. But before you pencil No. 29 in Pittsburgh’s lineup, please remember that only rookies were in this camp. It’s like the 1984 Summer Olympics when the United States cleaned up in the medal count with the communist countries boycotting the Los Angeles games.
- Yet another free agent that Steelers Nation coveted for the team is no longer on the market. The Eagles signed DE Ryan Kerrigan to an economically-sound one-year deal worth up to $3.5M. The Steelers were said to be in the running, but Kerrigan reportedly wanted to stay in the NFC East. It’s like the 1989 Prom when No. 1 on my free agent wish list decided to spurn a ride in my Chevy Citation and a dinner at Denny’s for a limo and unlimited soup and salad at the Olive Garden.
- No jokes on this next one. Just proof on why Cam Heyward is the great leader that he is. No. 97 was on Good Morning Football when he had this to say about his teammate Ben Roethlisberger...
“Ben’s still got the goods. Anyone who tells you otherwise, they haven’t really looked at football.”
That’s an absolute mic drop there if I’ve ever heard one.
- Speaking of Cam, BTSC’s Michael Beck asked the Steelers’ great on social media, “If you and your dad met in the A gap, who would win that battle?”. The son of the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward responded emphatically with a “Me and it’s straight up”. That’s a bold statement with Cam’s dad having been a punishing runner back in the day. But I love nine-seven’s bravado. It reminds me of the time when somebody asked me who win win a Big Mac-eating contest between me and my dad. Again, me and it’s straight up.
- After signing DE Isaiahh Loudermilk, LB Quincy Roche, DB Tre Norwood & P Pressley Harvin III over the weekend, the Steelers got the fellas from College Station, OT Dan Moore Jr. and LB Buddy Johnson, to sign on the dotted line.
- Pens win to tie up the series with the Islanders.
- Can you please tell them that all I did was follow you... #eachoneteachone
Troy Polamalu tweets out his selection of Dick Lebeau as his presenter for induction into the Pro football Hall of Fame. I don’t think there could be a better choice than “Coach Dad”. Please remember this tweet 50 years from now when I’m posthumously inducted to the BTSC Hall of Fame (If they ever bring it back) by the veterans committee.
- I need help. I’ve been binge-watching a show about a disgraced NCAA champion hoops coach played by John Stamos. The show is called Big Shot on Disney Plus and am convinced that it’s the greatest show that I’ve ever seen. Man, I need training camp to get here in a big way.
- We were distracted by hockey in a big way on The Steelers Preview tonight. Jeff Carter will join the ranks as one of the best trade deadline pickups in Pittsburgh hockey history. Between the Pens win and the thuggery of the Islanders...this is great stuff.
- The Pirates lost 20-1 to the Atlanta Braves. Finally, the Buccos are righting the wrong of winning too many games early on. All is right in Steel City Sports again. I hate that I love them.
- With Ryan Kerrigan no longer in play, Justin Houston is now the front runner to be the EDGE of choice on the wish list for Steelers fans.
- CB Arthur Maulet, late of the Jets, is definitely becoming a player to pay attention to once camp starts. But will yinzers be able to pronounce his last name? I, for one, shouldn’t talk. I just found out that Hawaii 5-0 actor Chi McBride’s name is pronounced “shy” and not “chee”. But at least I can pronounce our quarterback’s last name.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.