With the sad news this week of the Steelers releasing David DeCastro I would be remiss if I didn’t highlight what I think he has meant to this team during his tenure.
There are many different types of leaders. Those that yell, those that think they know best and are willing to tell you or show you, those that lead from the middle so to speak, not too loud but not too quiet, and then there are those that simply let their actions do the majority of their ‘talking’. Dave struck me as a quiet leader who was 100% comfortable with letting his actions talk way louder than his words. However, I also believe that when he did talk, everyone, not just the line, listened. Dave struck me as a calming influence which was all the more important during the AB and Bell years now that we ‘know’ what we know.
Steelers Nation will miss you dearly Dave. You really were our Christmas Pony!
- Who will step into the quiet leadership role that DeCastro had?
- How big of a loss will DeCastro be? To the line, the offense and to the team in general?
- Which type of leader are you or do you respond best to?
- We hear lots about how professional sport players mess up. Drugs, domestic abuse, speeding tickets... However, we all know how much so many of these guys give back to their communities. Share a ‘give back’ type story that has impressed you. I’ll start here
- With summer upon us my kids are starting their summer jobs. Give us your best summer (or part time) job. P.S. One of my kids will be lifeguarding at the beach. DAMN!!!