Once again, our regular host for this event, steel canuck, is off mourning the loss in the Stanley Cup Final of his beloved Montreal Canadiens, and so I (Toronto Steeler Fan) am pinch hitting again. I’m told that a two-week mourning period is considered appropriate for a Stanley Cup Final loss, but being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, I wouldn’t know for certain.
At any rate, we are about two weeks away from training camp, and so this edition of Saturday Night Five is pretty much (but not entirely) all about training camp. Here goes:
1. You are the newly minted offensive line coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Your mission, direct from the owner of the team to you, is to have your charges play with an intemperate disposition. What one drill are you going to make these guys do every day at training camp to achieve this goal?
2. You are the wide receivers coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. For the third pre-season in a row, your number one priority is to get Dionte Johnson to catch footballs consistently. You have tried everything in the book in two prior pre-seasons, and needless to say, the results were underwhelming. Now it is time to get creative. What drill are you having him do every day at training camp to achieve this goal?
3. You are the newly minted tight ends coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. After years of being handed oversized WRs, failed QBs, and some backup-backup offensive tackle-eligible types looking for a role to stay on the 53-man roster, you have finally been given one (1) honest-to-goodness TE to coach up. What is your biggest priority when it comes to getting your rookie TE ready for week one?
4. You are Mike Tomlin. What is your biggest fear right now and what are you doing about it?
5. It is 1987 and you have been invited to steel canuck’s house just outside Windsor, Ontario for video night. You are the one designated to go to the video store and pick up the movie. What movie do you bring? And remember – VHS, not Beta. And color, not black-and-white.