BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- Joe Rutter reported from training camp a tweet about a new face in practice on social media. “We have a new running back on the field wearing No. 30. Have not been given his identity yet. An indication that the Steelers won’t have Snell or Ballage back for the Eagles game Thursday”. The runner was later identifeid as Monmouth’s Pete Guerriero, formerly of the New York Jets and the duo of Snell/Ballage indeed did not play on Thursday. Guerriero becomes another talented rusher in a deep stable of RBs. Rutter’s tweet reminds of ex-Mrs. BAD’s family reunions when I was just another guy that nobody knew his identity.
- Rumors of all NFL teams doing reverse color rush jerseys in 2021 as an empty frame on the Heinz Field Terrible Towel wall read as such. If that’s true, get ready for a gold rush in Pittsburgh or football playing banannas. See the Los Angeles rams in recent years. What I’m truly waiting for is a frame reading “1967 Batman Throwback”.
- According to Dalle Lolley, Joe Haden is seeking a contract extension from the Steelers and wishes to end his career in the Steel City. This would be great for both parties as the Steelers keep a solid veteran in the secondary and No. 23 continues to try to erase the brown stain on his possible Hall of Fame resume’.
- As reported last week, OL Malcolm Pridgeon visited the Steelers. On Monday, the Steelers officially signed Pridgeon and injured/waived DL Calvin Taylor. I’m confused. Is Malcolm Pridgeon a football player or a lord on Downton Abbey?
- Inclement weather forced the Men of Steel back into the safety of the locker room on Tuesday. They did, however, emerge long enough to stretch and do “seven shots” on the practice field. Being a football player is awesome. Imagine getting paid for doing yoga and downing Jack Daniels. What? Seven shots is a drill? Well, looks like I’ve been doing the shots of Jack.
- Disturbing news as another former Cincinnati Bengal was detained by authorities. Rey Maualuga was arrested for driving intoxicated through suburban Kentucky yards while hitting mail boxes and wedging his Mercedes under a parked car. Reports say that Maualuga “was telling people he was sorry, mentioned he had screwed up, and that he’s already had multiple DUIs and this one would potentially put him in jail for a long time”. Here’s hoping that Maualuga gets the help that he needs. As for the possibilty of prison, playing in Cincinnati definitely prepares players for jail time. Plus wearing orange and stripes won’t get taking used to.
- Chris Johnson announced on Bryant McFadden’s All Things Covered podcast that he was nearly a Pittsburgh Steeler in 2008, but refusing to undergo an MRI due to claustrophobia caused the Steelers to draft Rashard Mendenhall instead of the 2000-yard rusher in 2009 for the Tennessee Titans.
- Brooke Pryor tweeted that the Steelers announced Unibet as their official sportsbook partner. In related news, I’m announcing Handsome Vinny from Bloomfield as my official loan shark for the 2021 season.
- A social media post by a Jacksonville Jaguar wife, Megan Schobert came out right before the Steelers-Eagles game that read “Yinz are going to love this”. Megan Schobert definitely had the inside track on Husband Joe’s trade from Jacksonville to the Steelers. The trade gives Pittsburgh a tackling machine at inside linebacker that excels in coverage. The only tweet my wife would ever put out about me is, “Yinz aren’t gonna believe what my idiot husband did this time”.
- The Steelers took to the field in Philadelphia for their second preseason contest of the 2021 season. The team started out slow, but a running game, a crisp passing attack and a staunch defense emerged as the Steelers flew past the grounded Eagles 24-16.
- Trade details came out regarding the Schobert deal and the Steelers only surrenderred a sixth-rounder for the Pro Bowl linebacker. I paid more for the Plymouth K-Car that I rolled around in high school.
- Schobert will be wearing No. 45 to start in Pittsburgh. That could change when other digits become available after roster cuts.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.