BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- The Atlanta Falcons are losing their backup quarterback A.J. McCarron for the 2021 season with an ACL tear. That sound you hear is Kevin Colbert whizzing through his Rolodex to call Arthur Blank and it’s not to order a new ShopVac from Home Depot.
- Bad news for a former Steeler in Baltimore. L.J. Fort tore his ACL and will need to undergo season-ending surgery. Best wishes to Fort for a quick recovery.
- Pittsburgh Police announced that they are “aware” of the brawl at Heinz Field between fans that quickly went viral on Saturday Night and are investigating the incident. I am shocked that this wasn’t dealt with immediately. Rumor has it that both the WWE and the Cincinnati Bengals are interested in signing the two main combatants in the fight.
- The Rams announce the release of one Devlin Hodges on this day. Will the Duck migrate to another NFL city? All the Steelers need to do is sign Hodges and cut Percy Harvin III for my ill-fated purchase of the No. 6 jersey to be valid again. Since that isn’t going to happen, I guess it’s only fitting to Duck Tape over the quarterback’s surname.
- Gerry Dulac reported that fans should expect T.J. Watt to sign a contract extension shortly after the Carolina game that will make him the league’s highest-paid defensive player. The author of this column is reporting that he is expecting a BOGO coupon for Arby’s and may get to eat this week.
- Brian Batko shared the interesting nugget that Steelers cornerback James Pierre and Ravens QB Lamar Jackson are first cousins. Pierre claims that he is the faster family member and that Jackson would admit to that claim. All of my male cousins are taller than me, but I’m the best looking. However, I still can’t get them to endorse the truth.
- Former Steelers draft pick Derwin Gray has been released by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Steeler fans that look for new couches on the side of the road were all over social media looking for their team to sign Gray. Much to their chagrin, the offensive lineman was claimed by Tennessee. Much to my chagrin, Mrs. BAD would never let me bring home a trash sofa.
- The Steelers made five cuts to pare their roster down to 80. The players released were were OL Aviante Collins, WR Tyler Simmons, RB Pete Guerriero, LB Calvin Bundage and S Antoine Brooks Jr. The 2020 sixth-rounder from Maryland was a surprise cut, but injuries derailed his once-promising second season.
- Sony Michel was traded from the New England Patriots to the Los Angeles Rams. The move dashed the dreams of Steelers fans that were convinced that Benny Snell Jr. would be shipped to La La Land to replace the injured Cam Akers. It’s like back in the sixth grade lunch room when I was incensed that little Davy Armstrong wouldn’t trade me his Little Debbie Snack Cakes and a Capri Sun for a bag of prunes and a three-day old milk.
- Jim Wexel reported that “Dwayne Haskins could steal the no. 2 job Friday night. After not having directed a TD drive this preseason, Mason Rudolph is vulnerable.” My crystal ball, since this is being written after the game, predicts that Jim’s crystal ball is cracked.
- Haskins was named by Mike Tomlin as the starter for the preseason finale, while Ben Roethlisberger and Mason Rudolph would remain in street clothes. That gave me flashbacks to the Prom in 1988 when Yolanda Yinzer sent another dude to Masters Tuxedos while I was relegated to street clothes.
- Stefan Wisniewski retired from the NFL on this date. Best wishes to a local guy and former Steeler in his post NFL endeavors.
- The Steelers fourth preseason game was a brutal 34-9 loss. I’ve passed kidney stones that I’ve found more tolerable than watching that debacle.
- T.J Watt’s name was leaked as landing in the top ten of NFL.com’s Top 100 Players for 2021 at No. 9. That reminds me of 2001 when I ranked No. 9 on ex-Mrs. BAD’s list of favorite men. What makes it worse, we were still married at the time.
- The Steelers turk got started early ahead of Tuesday’s 53-man roster deadline with nine names targeted. The cut list included tight end Marcus Baugh, running back Tony Brooks-James, cornerback Shakur Brown, defensive tackle T.J. Carter, wide receiver Anthony Johnson, cornerback Lafayette Pitts, offensive guard Malcolm Pridgeon, wide receiver Mathew Sexton and safety Lamont Wade.
- A bad day for J.K. Dobbins and the Baltimore Ravens, as the second-year running back was carted off of the field in their preseason finale against Washington. If the Steelers are to beat the Ravens, I’d rather do it at full strength. Best wishes to Dobbins for the diagnosis not to be season-ending.
- Speaking of the Ravens, I find it ridiculous that they are celebrating the record of 20 straight preseason victories. That’s like bragging about being the first to finish dinner. Now if the Ravens could go 20-straight games without anybody wanting to wipe the smug look off of John Harbaugh’s face... now that would be an accomplishment.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.