BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the Burgh together.
- There was a host of speculation and conspiracy theories when, ten minutes after Buddy Johnson was listed on the inactive list, Robert Spillane’s name was suddenly on the list with Johnson getting a helmet. It was akin to the “magic bullet” conspiracy or the “second spitter” theory from Seinfeld until it was learned that Spilly had suffered a shin injury in pre-game warmups. That’s why there was a change in status.
- The Steelers defeated the Buffalo Bills by the score of 23-16 on Sunday. The improbable victory by the visiting team was felt most by the psychopathic followers of the home team, the Bills Mafia. The brisk and sullen manner in which said fans exited the stadium made Cincinnati “esca-losers” look like they were loitering at a Sheetz.
- The Las Vegas Raiders used up all nine of their lives in one of the most bizarre games that I’ve ever seen in all of my years of watching “the football”. It reminded me of when I was intentionally trying (but ultimately failed) to lose board games to my children when they were seven. At one point, I was wondering if Jon Gruden and his silver and black minions were ordered by Vegas goons to blow the game on purpose. It was very satisfying however, as it benefited the Steelers this week. Now the Raiders go from heroes to foes of Steelers’ Nation. Rooting for teams in games involving anybody other than the Steelers hurts my brain.
- Speaking of the 52nd opener of Monday Night Football, how awesome was this?
- This set yinzers and certain BTSC staff members ablaze speculating that UNC quarterback Sam Howell is the definitive next signal caller for the Steelers. It’s called scouting people. The team is going to look at good players at every position. It’s in their freaking job description!!!!
- The win against the Bills marked another 4th quarter comeback for Big Ben Roethlisberger. He now ranks 3rd all time, tied with Drew Brees with 36 fourth quarter comebacks. He trails only Peyton Manning with 43 and Tom Brady’s 39.
- So now we all know the reason cardiologists and psychiatrists have such nice houses in Pittsburgh.
The Steelers 5 wins when trailing at halftime are tied for the most in the NFL since the start of 2020.— Michael Bertsch (@SteelersPRMike) September 14, 2021
Pittsburgh has won 4 games when trailing at the end of the third quarter since the start of 2020, which also is the most in the NFL...#BertschyBits https://t.co/01rPOsqMLx
- Steelers fans were crushed when they learned that Devlin “Duck” Hodges was returning to football, but not to the Steelers and not even in the National Football League. Does anybody in Canada want a vintage Hodges No. 6 rookie jersey, size 2X? I’ll take a pound of Canadian Bacon for it, a cassette copy of Loverboy Greatest Hits for it and whatever they call an Arby’s Bacon Cheddar in the Great White North. Do they even have the meats in Canada, eh?
- The Indianapolis Colts were announced as the first team to be the subjects of an in-season installment of HBO’s Hard Knocks. That to me sounds like a horrendous idea to introduce cameras into your facilities in the middle of an NFL campaign. Welcoming hookers, firearms and unlimited Arby’s Beef ‘N Cheddars into the locker room might be less disruptive. My bet is that the Steelers would rather do the latter before the former.
- The Steelers won’t see Josh Jacobs this weekend, as the running back was added to the crowded injury list for the Raiders. But the Steelers had new additions to their final injury report that caused frayed nerves and grey hairs in Steelers’ Nation when Joe Haden and Devin Bush headlined their list of walking wounded.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.
For a deeper look and listen, check outHave a BAD week in the podcast below:
Be sure to check out all episodes on the following platforms:
Apple Users: CLICK HERE
Spotify: CLICK HERE
Google Play: CLICK HERE
If you’re old-school and just want the audio, you can listen to it in the player below.