The Steelers season ended weeks ago, but there’s plenty of news coming out of the Steel City. BTSC continues their recap of the past week’s events for our readers. But where they went wrong was asking the one narcissistic writer that would put a bizarre spin on it to do it. So, let’s all take a look at a BAD week in the ‘burgh together.
- In a surprising move, the Houston Texans tabbed Lovie Smith as the head coach of the fledgling franchise. The defensive genius will act as the coordinator of that unit as well and call the schemes. Hmmmmmm, Why is it an issue that Mike Tomlin calls his defense in Pittsburgh?
- The Steelers are interviewing almost everybody for their soon-to-be open general manager position. Besides Colts’ college scouting director Morocco Brown and Green Bay’s co-director of player personnel John Wojciechowski on Wednesday and Tampa Bay’s VP of player personnel John Spytek on Friday... the announcement of ESPN’s Louis Riddick scheduled to interview was definitely eyebrow raising. The Raiders Mike Mayock mistake is glaring and should not be overlooked. Maybe taking a guy from the broadcast booth isn’t the way to go for such an important position.
- The Steelers, as expected, hired an assistant coach. What wasn’t expected was bringing in a receivers coach. Sure, that unit underachieved in 2021 under Ike Hilliard. But with the need for an offensive line coach, bringing in Jackson was like needing a new oven and buying a second fridge.
We have named Frisman Jackson as our wide receivers coach.— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) February 8, 2022
- Wasn’t this news on Sunday?
We have named Teryl Austin as our defensive coordinator.— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) February 9, 2022
- Tom Cable is an accomplished offensive line coach, with a penchant for punching people. So, the line would be tough and possibly highly penalized. But this could be just something that Poni dreamed up. But at least it’s offensive line coach news of some type.
Multiple people at the Super Bowl have told me that the Steelers have talked to Tom Cable (former Raiders Head Coach) for the open offensive line coach position.— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) February 9, 2022
- Finally! When J.J. Watt announced the winner of the NFL Defensive Player of the Year as just “T.J.”, I felt excitement and relief. This is only the beginning.
- Kind of a ho hum Hall of Fame Class. Not that the eight aren’t deserving, but nobody really that raises excitement. The bummer for me is that no receivers made it. That pushes Hines Ward’s chances back a couple of years.
- Deshea Townsend was an underrated Steeler. Boy, did No. 26 come up big for the black and gold. He’s the football equivalent of the Arby’s Beef ‘N Cheddar. Good for Deshea getting a chance.
- It’s the night before the Super Bowl and I’m watching rhythm ice dancing in the Olympics. The worst thing about it is that I’m enjoying it. Now Mike Tirico tells me that it is on after the Super Bowl. I’m super pumped. Oh testosterone, where have you gone? I’ll know that I’ve gone way too far when I get replicas of the Canadian team pictured below.
This was the significant week that was for the Steelers, mixed-in with my black-and-gold loving life. I’m sure next week will be full of Steelers happenings as well, so we’ll have to do this again. Have a great week, but better yet have a BAD one.