Every year the NFL Competition Committee gathers and creates a proposal to be voted on by the league owners at the annual owners meeting. This year there were some significant proposals ranging from the ability to have penalties reviewed in specific situations, giving coaches 3 challenges instead of 2 and having fixed cameras on all boundaries of the playing field.
There were also bylaw proposals as well as one resolution which allows teams with a retractable roof to open the roof during halftime performances. Take a look at the entire list of proposed changes below:
- Allow any call to be challenged.
- Allow penalties to be challenged.
- Allow coaches to challenge personal fouls.
- Allow personal fouls to be reviewed, but not necessarily on coaches' challenges.
- Make all fouls that result in automatic first downs reviewable.
- Allow replay review of rulings related to hits on defenseless receivers.
- Review every foul for hits on defenseless players.
- Increase the number of coaches' challenges from two to three.
- Expand replay
- Add the game clock at the end of the half and end of the game to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.
- Add the play clock to the list of things that can be reviewed on replay.
- Put fixed cameras on all boundaries of the playing field, sidelines, goal line.
- Allow a "bonus try" after a two-point conversion.
- Do not allow players to push rushers when a team is punting. (This is already the rule on field goals and extra points.)
- Guarantee both teams a possession in overtime.
- Ban peelback blocks by any offensive player.
- Give defensive players "defenseless receiver" protection on interceptions.
- If there's a dead ball foul, unsportsmanlike conduct or taunting at the end of the first half, it will carry over to the second half.
- Ban running backs from chop blocking outside the tackle box.
- Allow linebackers to wear jersey numbers 40-49 in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.
- If an eligible player reports as an ineligible receiver to the referee, he must align within the tackle box.
- Eliminate the 75-player cutdown.
- Expand rules to allow teams more contact with draft eligible players.
- Permit teams that play on Thursday to designate one player eligible to return to the active list from injured reserve.
- Permit players on Physically Unable to Perform to begin practicing earlier.
- Allow teams with retractable roofs to open their roofs during halftime shows.