The Pittsburgh Steelers are set to begin Organized Team Activities (OTAs) tomorrow, Tuesday, at the team’s practice facility. They are doing their best to have all of their 8 draft picks signed prior to that date, although it likely wouldn’t stop anyone from participating in the workouts.
As of Monday afternoon, and the signing of fourth round draft pick Joshua Dobbs to his rookie contract, there are only two picks who remained unsigned.
The #Steelers have signed fourth-round pick, QB Josh Dobbs, to his rookie contract.— Missi Matthews (@missi_matthews) May 22, 2017
With Dobbs under contract, we update the list of draft picks and who remains unsigned:
1. OLB - T.J. Watt - Unsigned
2. WR - Juju Smith-Schuster - Signed to 4-year contract
3. CB - Cameron Sutton - Unsigned
3. RB - James Conner - Signed to 4-year contract
4. QB - Joshua Dobbs - Signed to 4-year contract
5. CB - Brian Allen - Signed to 4 year contract
6. LS - Colin Holba - Signed to 4-year contract
7. OLB - Keion Adams - Signed to 4-year contract
There is far less celebration about a team signing a rookie since the new Collective Bargaining Agreement went into effect around the league. Now, depending on which round the team drafted a player, the contract is slotted for a specific price.
The only thing which could hold back a player from signing a deal could be incentives or a signing bonus. This is largely why the Steelers have signed their picks from the back end of the draft to the front, where there is less negotiating about specific stipulations.
Stay tuned to BTSC for the latest news on the Steelers draft picks, their contract status and the team’s upcoming OTAs.