The Pittsburgh Steelers are preparing for their first preseason game of 2017 this Friday when they travel to Metlife Stadium to play the New York Giants. With the upcoming game comes the first released depth chart by the organization.
Per the Steelers official website, this depth chart looks a bit different based on players who either aren’t in camp, Le’Veon Bell, aren’t participating, Martavis Bryant, or most likely won’t be playing Friday night, Maurkice Pouncey.
Either way, it is the first depth chart of the season, so take it all in, at least for a realistic idea as to who is, and isn’t, going to be playing Friday.
Depth chart information provided by Bob Labriola of Steelers.com.
* At tight end, it’s Jesse James as the starter, followed by David Johnson and Xavier Grimble.
* With Pouncey on the “not participating” list, B.J. Finney is listed as the No. 1 center and as the backup to Ramon Foster at left guard. This indicates Finney is the team’s primary backup along the interior of the offensive line, which is a designation that becomes significant once the game day roster is set at 46 during the regular season.
* At running back, Fitz Toussaint is listed ahead of Knile Davis.
* At defensive end, L.T. Walton is listed as Cam Heyward’s backup, and Tyson Alualu is listed as Stephon Tuitt’s backup.
* Dan McCullers is behind Javon Hargrave at nose tackle.
* Bud Dupree is the No. 1 left outside linebacker, and behind him it’s third-year pro Anthony Chickillo followed by Arthur Moats.
* James Harrison is No. 1 at right outside linebacker, followed by T.J. Watt..
* Behind Ryan Shazier, it’s L.J. Fort, Steven Johnson, and Tyler Matakevich; behind Vince Williams, it’s Steven Johnson, Tyler Matakevich, and L.J. Fort.
* The backups listed at both cornerback spots are the same guys in the same order: Will Gay, Coty Sensabaugh, and Mike Hilton.
* With Mitchell on the “not participating” list, Robert Golden is the No. 1 free safety, with Jacob Hagen behind him. Behind Sean Davis at strong safety is Jordan Dangerfield.
* As for the specialists, Knile Davis is the No. 1 kickoff returner, with Antonio Brown backed up by Eli Rogers at punt returner.