We’re all aware of the significance of seeding. The Christmas contest in Houston isn't the only contest that matters to Steelers Nation. Here’s a guide to other significant matchups and whose losses the Steelers would benefit from more this weekend.
If the season ended today, the Steelers would have the second seed in the AFC. Here are the current AFC playoff standings.
- New England Patriots 11-3 (Would win AFC East and get a First Round Bye)
- Pittsburgh Steelers 11-3 (Would win AFC North and get a First Round Bye)
- Jacksonville Jaguars 10-4 (Would win AFC South and host Wild Card Baltimore)
- Kansas City Chiefs 8-6 (Would win AFC West and host Wild Card Tennessee)
- Tennessee Titans 8-6 (Would earn Wild Card and travel to Kansas City)
- Buffalo Bills 8-6 (Would earn Wild Card and travel to Jacksonville)
- Baltimore Ravens 8-6
- Los Angeles Chargers 7-7
- Oakland Raiders 6-8
- Miami Dolphins 6-8
- New York Jets 5-9 (Eliminated)
- Cincinnati Bengals 4-6 (Eliminated)
- Denver Broncos 5-9 (Eliminated)
- Houston Texans 4-10 (Eliminated)
- Indianapolis Colts 3-11 (Eliminated)
- Cleveland Browns 0-14 (Eliminated)
Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens: Saturday at 4:30 PM
Who to root for: Baltimore is looking to get back in the playoff hunt and it could benefit the Steelers if they did. The Ravens have the ability to take out both New England and Jacksonville. It's far-fetched, but Steelers vs. Ravens in Round 3 could happen for the conference crown.
Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots: Sunday at 1:00 PM
Who to root for: The Pats own the tiebreaker over the Steelers, but a loss to the Bills (who will most likely target Gronk) would help get the Steelers back to the top of the conference.
Los Angeles Rams at Tennessee Titans: Sunday at 1:00 PM
Who to root for: Tennessee's loss to Frisco hurt the Steelers. Tennessee needs to win again to make their Week-17 matchup with Jacksonville worthwhile. C'mon Titans.
Jacksonville Jaguars at San Francisco 49ers: Sunday at 4:05 PM
Who to root for: More than ever, the Steelers’ Week-5 loss to the scorching Jags looms large. It gives them a head-to-head tiebreaker against Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh needs to win out or Jacksonville needs to lose. Both would be good. Go Niners.
Other Week 12 contests featuring an AFC foe:
Cleveland Browns at Chicago Bears (Sun 1:00 PM)
Denver Broncos at Washington Redskins (Sun 1:00 PM)
Detroit Lions at Cincinnati Bengals (Sun 1:00 PM)
Miami Dolphins at Kansas City Chiefs (Sun 1:00 PM)
Oakland Raiders at Philadelphia Eagles (Mon 8:30 PM)