You would think that the off-season would ease my black and gold mind, but it actually seems to be in a Mardi Gras-type frenzy. However, women aren't raising their tops to expose their knockers to my brain in exchange for beads.
But nonetheless, Lent may be upon us for some, but I can't give up sharing the results of my abnormal brain activity with all of you. You're welcome.
But first, I gots to do that apology polka to the plethora of peeps that I offended last week.
- Scorned yinzers
- The fantasy mauling of Kitty Gaga during the Puppy Bowl
- Anybody named Tim Brody
- Tom Petty, but not the Heartbreakers
- Patrick Swayze
- Rick Moser
- Lou Bega
- John Mellencamp
Welcome to Random Thoughts From a Black and Gold Mind.
- Antonio Brown received the deal that he wanted to stay in Pittsburgh for Richie Rich-esque dough. For his production on the field, he deserves it. But in turn, the Steelers deserve a fully committed AB. With the dolla-dollas out of the way, No. 84 needs a Super Bowl desperately to cement his legacy. Without it he risks falling under the category that includes Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson...great stats, but too focused on individual gain.
- With AB secure and at least another year of Lev Bell, I think it's safe to say that the retirement talk from Ben Roethlisberger will be shelved until 2018. Monday's moves should secure No. 7 behind center and hopefully go along way to secure No. 7 of the Lombardi variety.
- The Juice is squeezing out more rap tracks. Le'Veon Bell's new release will be available to hit your head phones on March 1st. I have no problem with No. 26 capitalizing on his fame and securing his future outside of football, especially in the off season. However, once again Lev is demanding to get paid in his lyrics. The first time was annoying, but understandable. The second time was redundant. The third time is like beating Barbaro after he was sadly euthanized in 2006. Enough already! The newly attached franchise tag means that you're going to get paid. Rap about something we all want to hear...not getting suspended for skipping drug tests repeatedly. That's something I'd gladly put on my iTunes.
- The Markus Wheaton situation intrigues me. While he did nothing last year statistically due to injury and ineffectiveness, the Steelers have seen his potential when healthy. Wheaton could sign at a bargain-basement "prove-it" deal. But I think the road could be coming to an end for the third rounder from the 2013 draft.
- Actually, the forecast looks damning for most of the 2013 draft class, with the exception of Bell and Vince Williams. I expect Shamarko Thomas, Jarvis Jones and the aforementioned Wheaton to be looking for opportunities elsewhere. The guy with more question marks than the Riddler's costume here is Landry Jones. I expect him to get an invitation to stay, much to the chagrin of a large portion of Steeler Nation.
- The NFL let Seattle off the hook for not disclosing Richard Sherman's injury. In fairness, then that means the NFL should do the same and not strip a draft choice from the Steelers for withholding Le'Veon Bell's injury before the New England game. While I would have been livid if the Steelers would have lost a draft pick, I feel the NFL is making a huge mistake in not punishing either team for the transgression. Letting these teams off completely will open the floodgates to more cheating when it comes to not disclosing injuries. Looks like the Steelers and Seahawks are embracing the immortal words of Jesse "the Body" Ventura..."Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat".
- Former Lions CB Stanley Wilson, not the KR for the Bengals that went on a coke-binge in the slums of Miami the night before he was the play in the Super Bowl, was arrested for the third time since the summer for trying to break into homes in Oregon. Not earthshattering you say. Oh, I forgot to mention that he was arrested breaking into homes naked. That's not the best idea getting apprehended in the nude. Already half the work is done for your cell mates in the holding tank. Plus, it's tough to steal things naked, where would you put what you took? Oh....Never mind.
- I think franchising Bell without striking soon thereafter would be a terrible idea. Wrap him up while you have the chance. If he gets to the open market after next season, it will be a mad rush like when the opening bell is rank on Wall Street. Pun intended.
- With the "Underwear Olympics" coming up this week, the names on the top of the wish list may change. However, I'm willing to bet Antonio Brown the pink-slip to my car that the top selection in roughly two months will be nothing less than an edge rusher. I think that would be a safe bet for me. So Antonio need not get his hopes up to be rolling into Latrobe in a beat-up 2008 Chrysler minivan.
- I wonder what Courtney Hawkins is doing these days.
Until next time, Robbie Neville said it best in his hit of thirty year back, "C'est La Vie". That's just the way it goes. That's Life"