It’s been a helluva ride cheering for the Black-and-Gold during the 2017 NFL season. 13-3 ain’t no slouch, but the facts remain: boneheaded play-calling and misguided situational football cost Pittsburgh a shot at widening their Lombardi Trophy lead on the New England Patriots. Another year, another Super Bowl I spent rooting against the AFC representative in what I know to be complete vain. C’est la vie.
Since you’re here at BTSC reading this, I’ll go ahead and assume that like myself, you’ve spent the past several weeks brooding over the same moments that defined another season done too early. Remember that time we ran a jet sweep on 4th and 1 with a quarterback 6’5, 240 and one of the best offensive lines in the game?
Yeah, me too. Good times, good times...
But alas! The price has been paid for such boneheaded calls (later, Haley!) and this season has finally ended (Thanks, Tom). It’s time to shake it off and remember the 2017 Steeler season for what it really was — Electric.
Here are the 10 most electric plays from the 2017 season that will carry you through till opening kickoff next year!
9. Ryan Shazier sets up a touchdown and tying 2-point conversion with a miraculous short-range interception against the Colts in Week 10. Holy reflexes, Batman!
8. Roosevelt Nix gets his hands on a short pass and lands on top of the Ravens’ Tony Jefferson, completing the play for a momentous Week 14 4th quarter touchdown. Antonio Brown’s massive 70-yard burst to set up this score could easily make the list too, but Nix gets the nod by way of sheer force.
7. Antonio Brown snags a ball down the middle of the field on 3rd and 5 and takes it to the Green Bay 40, setting up the Martavis Bryant touchdown and tying 2-point conversion in Week 12. In fact, this whole game is basically an Antonio Brown highlight reel.
6. Le’Veon Bell unleashes a stiff arm on George Iloka and then doubles down and absolutely buries Dre Kirkpatrick with one on a 41-yard catch and run against the Bengals in Week 7.
5. Vince Williams picks off Tom Brady in the 3rd quarter of Week 15 (finally!).
4. Chris Boswell rocks through another game winner in Week 14 against the Ravens, his 4th of the year and 3rd in as many weeks.
3. Antonio Brown catches a tipped ball and sheds a tackle, taking it 51 yards for a touchdown against the Chiefs in Week 6 to make it 19-10 in the 4th.
2. Le’Veon catches a short dump from Ben and tip toes his way down the sideline for a 35-yard touchdown against the Bengals in Week 13.
1. JuJu goes 97 yards for a touchdown against the Detroit Lions in Week 8. This is the play that really introduced the world to JuJu and (not-so-easily) is the most electric play of the year.
It’s not easy getting to number one. What was your favorite play from the 2017 Steeler season? Share your highlight in the comments!