It's a curious decision facing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.
Cut in half the duties of a kicker and replace those tasks with another kicker, or bring up a cornerback from the practice squad?
With just a few hours before gametime, the Steelers haven't formally revealed their intentions, but with Curtis Brown listed as doubtful with an illness heading into their Monday night game against the Cincinnati Bengals, it appears the Steelers will keep Shayne Graham on the roster, instead of releasing him in favor of bringing in another player for the game. Shaun Suisham suffered a hamstring injury in Week 1, compelling the Steelers to sign Graham just in case.
A source confirmed with Behind The Steel Curtain Suisham is at Paul Brown Stadium kicking an hour and 40 minutes before the game. Suisham was listed as probable.
Considering the lack of depth at cornerback, Isaiah Green was a candidate, but no move was announced. Cortez Allen was announced out for this game.
Graham isn't spectacular in a kickoff capacity, either - he kicked off for the Texans last season, leading them to the 29th-best touchback percentage in the league (30.4 percent).
Instead, the Steelers will head into the game with Ike Taylor, William Gay and Antwon Blake as their cornerbacks, with rookie Shamarko Thomas expected to fill the nickel back role.
One injury would put the Steelers in a very precarious position. Not only are the Bengals a potentially explosive passing team, but an injury to either Taylor or Gay would put a player who has not seen any significant action in outside coverage responsibilities.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers vs. Bengals: Everything you need to know
- McLendon to show off ballet background on Monday Night Countdown segment
- Polamalu praises Thomas, who was surprised at his promotion
- An open letter to James Harrison
- The Steelers can be better without Maurkice Pouncey
- 5 reasons why the Steelers will beat the Bengals
- Being 'thoughtfully non-rhythmic' against Andy Dalton
- Steelers vs. Bengals: Key matchups: Bengals DEs vs. Steelers OTs
- Week 2 2013: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming, odds and more
- I'm OK with lower expectations about the Steelers 2013 season
- NFL Week 2 Open Thread
- Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson was disappointed in Week 1 performance
- Fantasy Football Week 2: Which Steelers to start/sit