Derek Moye had a catch and nearly his second career touchdown last week, earning a helmet in Wheaton's absence. Veteran Jerricho Cotchery has performed well in the opportunity he's had as well.
Tomlin said he's "optimistic" about the chances of right tackle Marcus Gilbert returning to the lineup. He played seven snaps against the Ravens before being removed due to the quadriceps injury he previously had. Guy Whimper filled in for him, and played well.
The team also reported Kelvin Beachum (ribs), LaMarr Woodley (knee), Brett Keisel (ribs) and Cam Heyward (illness) may be limited in the early practices this week, but none have been ruled out.
Keisel left Sunday's win over the Ravens in the fourth quarter and did not return. Woodley was limited in practice early last week as well.
More from Behind the Steel Curtain:
- Steelers win second in a row: All news following 19-16 win over Baltimore
- 'Us Against the World' back in Pittsburgh
- The joys of a Ravens/Steelers game
- Week 8 Power Rankings
- Running game broke out in Week 7 last year as well
- Isaac Redman released
- Was the Heinz Field turf a silent partner in the Steelers' win?
- John Harbaugh's surprise onside kick a bit puzzling
- Steelers Le'Veon Bell says 'game is starting to slow down for me'